OS X Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sionharris, Sep 24, 2013.

1. sionharris macrumors regular

I've just come to the end of an enforced 3 year break from OS X, during which time my work machine was upgraded to Windows 7. I'm having a hard time adjusting because some key Windows Explorer features don't seem to have an OS X equivalent. Can anybody advise me as to whether there is a way around the problems I am encountering? I'm currently running Lion.

1. When I reduce the width of a folder displaying files as icons, instead of 'wrapping' (for example, a 4 x 4 arrangement becomes 2 x 8 when you halve the width) the arrangement stays identical but the viewing area decreases. I hate this as I find two dimensional scrolling to be confusing when viewing hundreds of files.

2. When I delete files from the top of a folder and then scroll down, the folder does not automatically remove the blank space. However, it does when you remove files from the bottom and then scroll up.

3. When switching between several folders and copying files between them, it would be extremely useful to have a tiling feature similar to Windows 7 where you can drag folders to the side, top or bottom of the screen where they automatically re-position and re-size to fill half of the screen. My alternative seems to be to keep doing this manually.

The above seem like minor issues, but honestly it's costing me a huge amount of time compared to Windows 7. There also appear to be a number of niggly things, e.g. the two-step process to view the dock when in full screen mode (move pointer to bottom of screen, pause briefly, then 'push' pointer downwards) when in apps like Safari there seems to be no reason why it can't operate as normal. Maybe my expectations are too high, but it feels like Apple products are becoming less intuitive to use and common tasks seem to involve more steps than are necessary.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Finder has always been a little lacklustre in comparison to Explorer. Maybe an App like TotalFinder will help.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You may prefer to use a different "View" style, other than Icon View.
    If you use List or Column View, then things will be listed in one long ... List, which is more like Window Explorer (from what little I remember of it).

There are usually several different ways of achieving the same result in OS X: I would focus on the best way to achieve what you want, rather than getting bogged down in the merits of any one particular method.

For instance: why do you want to use the Dock when in Full Screen mode? If you want to switch to another app, try Mission Control, Spotlight or LaunchPad.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Or command-tab. (Hold down command key, press tab key)

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think that behavior changes depending on which Arrange By option is set. Play with that and I think you'll find one that does automatically change the number of columns when the window is resized. I'm not at a Mac, or I'd take a few seconds to try it myself.

6. nilk macrumors 6502

There are many tiling apps that do window docking, and most of them do more than Windows 7's simple tiling. I use ShiftIt ( https://github.com/fikovnik/ShiftIt ) for keyboard controls. And I use BetterTouchTool ( http://blog.boastr.net/ ) for mouse controls. Both of those are free. There are countless others, ranging from simple to advanced; do a search for "mac window manager" to find others.

I don't use full-screen mode very much and hadn't noticed the issue you mention with the dock, but I just tried it out and was able to reproduce it. It seems you have to move your mouse fast enough towards the dock for it to come up, if you move to slow it doesn't recognize your intention to expose the dock. In my mouse settings, I have my Tracking speed set pretty high, which may be why I don't have this issue.

BTW I find that by default the dock animation is too slow. You can speed it up by running these commands in the terminal:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Dock autohide-delay -float 0
    defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-time-modifier -float 0.24

The 0.24 value is my preference, you can tweak that to what you want.

After running these commands you'll want to restart the dock with this command (or login/logout or reboot):

Code:
    killall Dock

7. sionharris thread starter macrumors regular

I had no idea there were alternatives to Finder - thanks everyone. I'll play around with folder settings for now and investigate alternatives fully when I have my own laptop (this one is on loan).