OS X for a MacBook Pro without it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBearman, Jun 11, 2013.

1. TheBearman macrumors 6502

So a co-worker tells me about a company sale of a used MacBook Pro. Exact version/model isn't available but the 15" MBP is speced wiyh a ntel® Core™ i5—540M 2.53 GHz processor.

The price seems reasonable but there's a catch.....no OS included. I expect it was low-level wiped to remove business data.

So the question is, how do we get an OS to do the initial install? Since all Apple laptops include an OS as part of the price will an Apple store restore the correct (sold with) version for free? Fee?

2. David2144 macrumors member

Hdd

They probably took out the Hard Drive. Make sure a drive is included first.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm sorry, why would Apple give you the OS for free? You can either ask your office for the original discs or pay ~$30 for a new disc.

4. r6mile macrumors 6502

5. TheBearman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks folks for the quick replies. It does include the HD, no details on the mileage. As for paying, don't believe he'd complain about buying it, just wondering if Apple would provide the originally shipped OS for free. I wouldn't expect Apple to provide Mountain Lion, I'd expect paying for that like you would any upgrade.

Should have been clear that this isn't for me (I have enough Apple systems at the moment). The intent is to use this as a "starter" system for their son.

Thanks again.

6. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

If it is under an AppleCare warranty, the Genius Bar will provide OS-loading materials for free. I personally saw someone come into my local store with a MBP he'd purchased that was two months from being out of the three-year AppleCare warranty, and they provided him with Mountain Lion with their materials after checking the serial number and seeing it was recently loaded with ML. Apparently, he purchased it for a good price from his neighbor, which is was his work machine that also was low-level wiped. I believe they gave him the Snow Leopard disc as that's what the machine originally shipped with.

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I'm pretty sure you can load the original OS that it was shipped with free as many times as you want...

Not sure why people are saying you need to pay unless I'm missing something.

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm no expert, but you might check for a recovery partition that might still have the OS. Otherwise you can download Mountain Lion as some have suggested or order a Snow Leopard disk.