OS X Formatted

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iCaal, Apr 27, 2013.

1. iCaal macrumors newbie

iCaal

Hi guys.
    After trying to install Windows on my iMac and instead overwriting Macintosh HD, I'm left without OSX (obviously) to install a boot menu (rEFIt). My roommate threw away my iMac box after I unboxed it so no CD and my Macbook Pro Snow Leopard CD wont do much either. I did purchase mountain lion from the App Store, but back to the first problem, I have no recovery to install it :mad:. Anyway with that out of the way, OSX can wait, but at the moment I have a lot of compiling to do on Ubuntu, so how would I go about that? I did make a partition for it and use Wubi on Windows to install it, but the option key at startup obviously wont show it and thats really my only option.
    I know it is a really tough one, but any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Gabriel.

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

What year is the iMac?
    If it supports internet recovery you can restart it using Command Option R

However if not, if you have a firewire cable you can put your Mac in target disk mode. connect it your MacBook Pro, use the AppStore to download the Mountain Lion Installer and find the InstallESD.dmg file, launch disk utility and make two partitions one large one for the OS you want to install and then a smaller one just do 8-9gb to be safe (you can delete this later after OSX is installed), use the restore utility to restore the InstallESD.dmg to the smaller partition and then you should be able to boot into that and restore OS X which will then give you the recovery partition, etc.