OS X Fresh Install/iLife

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jbruce2112, Jul 15, 2007.

1. jbruce2112 macrumors newbie

Hello friends. I'm making my Leopard plans already!

I plan on doing a fresh OS install. I have a backup of everything on my external drive so everything should be able to go smoothly. I'm just wondering - Fresh Install wipes the drive right? and if i was to buy the leopard disk that would not include iLife.....does my original Mac OS X Tiger Install Discs have iLife on them, or am I f'd in the a?

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

The original install disc that came with your computer will have iLife on it. I believe that you need to click on the "Install Bundled Software" option in order to install it.

3. jsklar macrumors member

I believe they are on the second disk, so make sure you have that handy when installing.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

5. jbruce2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

to "why are you doing an erase and install"

A few reasons - mostly because I've heard the system runs slightly faster afterwords. And two, because I'm on a 120 gb MBP with 30 GB left - I don't have any room to archive what I have when choosing a "archive and install" option. I suppose I could manually move files to my backup drive beforehand - but everything is already backed up on there, so all I would need to do is move them back after leopard is installed.

By the by, are there any config/pref files I should move back? To get my itunes and iphoto librarys back (including play counts etc...) all i need to do is get the original .xml library data files into their music/pictures folder correct?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Reinstalling doesn't make the system run faster, unless in the process of wiping the hard drive you correct directory errors that could have been fixed in a far less intrusive way. You can also free hard drive space without causing the kind of issues you are asking about.