OS X from external USB3 SSD: doesn't wake from sleep

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jespertje93, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Jespertje93 macrumors newbie

I've recently installed OS X 10.10 on an external SSD (120GB, PNY) in an USB3.0 enclosure. Everything is working great and the whole thing (iMac late 2013) works really fast now.

BUT: when I put the Mac to sleep, is does never wake up. It looks like it cannot find the SSD anymore after sleep, and therefore it hangs.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Should i buy another enclosure, or is there a problem with the SSD? Or is it just a bug in OS X 10.10?

Thanks in advance!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

When the Mac goes to sleep, the USB port goes to sleep too, henceforth disconnecting the SSD from the Mac.

3. Jespertje93 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know. Is there any way to stop this from happening? Because I have seen others with the same configuration where sleep just works.

4. iDento macrumors regular

iDento

Set it so that it doesn't sleep, you might need to install a small free utility like Caffaine for that I guess.

You might turn the screen brightness down though, electricity isn't free afterall.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Don't. Disable sleep altogether; the electricity consumed is very insignificant. Better still, shut it down entirely. It starts up so fast anyway.

6. Jespertje93 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I guess I have to live with the fact that my Imac won't be able to go into hibernation mode as long as I run it off an external SSD?

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

That's more or less about it.

Besides, why would you want to hibernate it anyway when you can just shut off the screen with sleep disabled, or just shut it down entirely since it boots fast enough?

8. Lankyman macrumors 68000

From the 1st of January all electrical products in Europe have to have a standby mode power consumption of 0.5 watts max. I suspect even with the screen shut down an iMac with the configuration you mention would be far in excess of that.

What's the point of us Europeans trying to save the planet whilst you Antipodeans are burning it up? :eek:

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

So long as you run it off an external USB SSD, then yes, you will.

I boot from an SSD in a Thunderbolt enclosure and it has no problems at all waking from sleep. Then there are the added benefits of being able to enable TRIM and flash SSD firmware updates.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Because 5-10W of idle power consumption isn't going to eat up much either, compared to a lot of other PCs out there.

11. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Ah! but scale that up world wide and it makes a hell of a difference.

P.S. I suspect you were a large brown trout in another life! :D

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

What's with you Poms (or EU residents) with every tiny little bit of energy saving lol.

Some are justified (like going all-LED), but some aren't really justified.

13. UniDoubleU macrumors regular

UniDoubleU

Going all LED sucks for the Scandinavians though, they could use the heat from light bulbs in winter. Every degree counts over there. ;)

I only have Windows 8.1 on external USB3 drive. However, I seem to be able to sleep and wake it normally. Maybe Windows doesn't sleep properly unlike OS X?

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've Windows 8.1 as well on my external Transcend 960GB SSD, but it doesn't sleep or wake normally.

Putting it into sleep would disconnect the ports, hence disconnecting the boot drive as well.