OS X hangs at "login window starting"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flyin3d, Sep 2, 2007.

1. flyin3d macrumors newbie

Help...
    I think my login folder is missing from my library. I checked through the terminal and I do not see it. I tried (forget what its called) repairing permissions in terminal to no avail. Tonight I tried reinstalling Tiger, but I got a message that the I could not because a newer version of the OS is on my disk (this could only be updated versions of Tiger).

Do I have any other options???

Thanks.

2. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

this happened to me a few weeks ago. I fixed it by backing up my whole system then doing a complete Erase and Re-install of tiger. The Erase and Install option should come up when you begin to reinstall tiger.

3. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

oh yea

then when the fresh version of tiger is installed, move everything back from your external drive by using the Migration Assistant utility.

4. flyin3d thread starter macrumors newbie

ghking,
    im not at home right now to try your suggestion so please tell me, am I able to do the erase from disk utility? Then start the machine with the original tiger disk? if the erase os not offered in disk utility i cannot do it because the tiger installation disk will not let me get to the "type of installation" part of the disk which has the erase option I think you are suggesting

5. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

6. flyin3d thread starter macrumors newbie

Ghking, thank you for the link and I understand that it is an option on the install disk...BUT, what I am trying to say is that on the step PRIOR to choosing an install type, it tells me that my destination of choice has a newer version of tiger it and it will not allow me to do any install there. It will not let me continue to the step, that you mention, because of this.
    the newer version can only be any updates to tiger that Apple has sent over the internet. The os is definately Tiger.

7. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

huh. thats really weird. i just did the same exact thing a few months ago and it wasn't a problem. In that case im not really sure how to help you then. Try calling apple maybe they can help you work your problem out.

Good luck