OS X has the Best Memory Management

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by stevemiller, Sep 4, 2014.

1. stevemiller macrumors 68000

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try launching Activity Monitor to find what's really consuming memory. It's obviously not the 3 apps you have listed.

3. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 68000

yup, first thing i did. nothing was reporting high memory usage, nor was my "memory pressure" anywhere high. but i got the error nonetheless and was forced to close all my programs before i could continue. was extra frustrating as the same day my computer randomly kicked me to the login screen. i lost everything i was working on with that 'glitch' as well. :(

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I've got 12GB and have never seen this issue. I often have a large amount of tabs open (spread across three different browsers) and a multitude of other apps open as well.

Have you tried backing up and doing a clean install? (If it's an issue worth doing that for.)

5. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

May be make another partiton, and then do a clean install for testing purpose.

If problem fixed, it's clearly that you have a a software problem. You can move all your current stuff to this new partition as a solution. Or reinstall / upgrade your current OSX to check if it fix the problem.

If probleme persist. That may be a hardware problem. You may install only 1 piece of RAM to run the system. If ops normal, change to another RAM and repeat the test. This may let you isolate the problematic RAM module.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The problem in OS X is the easy way it is to update versions of OSX almost every year. The problem starts with YOU installing applications almost every day! So when you UPDATE OS X some of those incompatible programs services and launch agents can really slow down your Mac.

However I found a cool little program called EtreCheck and run it. If that program shows something in red goat means it is not compatible with your version of OS X and then you could manually delete that program services.