OS X Install Disk Use

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kyle.m, Nov 11, 2010.

1. kyle.m macrumors newbie

I've had trouble finding an answer to this specific question by searching this site and others. I have three Apple products - a Macbook Pro (OS X 10.6.x), a Mac Mini (OS X 10.5.x), and a Macbook (OS X 10.4.x). Is it possible to use an install disk that came with one machine to upgrade another?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No. Those grey Restore DVDs are model specific.

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer, and in your case would have found hundreds of threads about this.

4. kyle.m thread starter macrumors newbie

I did search, as I previously stated. Although admittedly I used the search tool on this website.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. I had a suspicion they were model-specific.

5. joelj94 macrumors newbie

MacBook Install Disk

My white MacBooks hard drive was accidentally wiped the other day and I was wondering if I could use my friends MacBook install disk to re-install OS X, or can he only use that disk for his own macbook?:confused: Thanks

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to use the install disks that came with your particular model, as has already been stated in this thread.

7. joelj94 macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering so quickly. Sorry, I was just freaking out and needed an answer. Thanks again :)