OS X install dvd backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dtklamf, Dec 27, 2007.

1. dtklamf macrumors regular

Being that I am attempting for once to be smart how do I make a backup of my leopard install DVD?

I never did this with my install discs that came with my computer when I first got it and when they got lost/stolen/thrown out/awol I was up poop creek.

I have a DL superdrive. but is there anyway to make it fit on a single layer dvd?I have stacks of these I don't particularly feel like wasting a few dl dvds they can be quite expensive.

thanks

yes it is a legit copy i purchased myself no dodgy dealings going on here.

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

There's only one Leopard install DVD, which translates to one blank DL-DVD. Is that really a big problem?

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just buy a blank DL DVD and then just make a backup of the leopard install dvd using disk util. the retail copy is 1 DL DVD. or are you trying to make a backup of your grey restore DVDs?

4. MNMacLvr macrumors newbie

Hey al.. on the note of making a backup of your 10.5 install dvd.. i have tried this .. a couple of times.. and it hangs with an I/O error. I have had 2 DVD's have install issues with 10.5 both would error out on the DVD check at the very beginning of the install. I have spoken to my local apple store.. and they exchanged my first DVD .. but then they got the second to install... now i can't get disk utils to make a .dmg file of the install disc to put on a harddrive. ... it is very disconcerting. The apple store... more or less told me they would not exchange the second DVD... is this something I should bring directly to apple??

5. dtklamf thread starter macrumors regular

no a backup of the leopard install dvd.
    i never did it with my original grey install disks so i'm being prepared.

but disk utility will copy it then?