OS X install Freezing

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Sounds like you might have Hard Drive hardware problems. Similar issues happened to me on fresh install off a system disc startup.

Replacing the drive solved the problem. And it turns out the drive was bad.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
thewhitehart said:
At which point does it freeze? Did you try running disk utility from the install disk first and checking the harddrive for errors?

it froze twice at the asian language install and once on the intial software setup, i did reformat the drive, but it doesn't let me check permissions.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
IJ Reilly said:
I'm guessing you decided to reinstall because you were having some problems. Correct?

actually no, I was with boot camp, not on the macside. Decided to do so to because of that, I know i could have just deleted it, but I wanted customize the install and save some space, and just for a cleans start really.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
mashinhead said:
actually no, I was with boot camp, not on the macside. Decided to do so to because of that, I know i could have just deleted it, but I wanted customize the install and save some space, and just for a cleans start really.
Clean installs are almost always more trouble than they are worth. Anyway, I agree with the poster above: run Disk Utility (check the disk, not repair permissions) from the install DVD. The problem could be either with the hard drive or the optical drive.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
IJ Reilly said:
Clean installs are almost always more trouble than they are worth. Anyway, I agree with the poster above: run Disk Utility (check the disk, not repair permissions) from the install DVD. The problem could be either with the hard drive or the optical drive.

yeah that did it. It's good now thanks.