OS X install help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Flameout, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Flameout macrumors newbie

I've purchased and am using leopard on my C2D macbook. I was wondering would I be able to use the 2 OS X tiger CDs that came with my macbook to update an old eMac? Or can the CDs shipped with a macbook only be used for installation on the machine they came with?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the install that came with your macbook will only install on macbooks and technically is intended to be licensed to that machine. so in other words they're bound by machine type, yes.

3. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

In addition to this, I think the install disks that came with your machine are tied to that individual machine. Maybe by serial number or something? I tried running my iMac setup disk on another identical iMac and it didn't even work. Can't remember why I tried this... maybe just to see if it would work?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What makes you think the two machines were identical? Did you run System Profiler on both?

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Essentially, no, because they're tied to the exact machine they came with (well, variety, eg 2 Ghz C2D MB superdrive). Besides, those are Intel machine restore disks, so they wouldn't work on a PPC Mac anyway.

6. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

They were identical. I had an aesthetic problem with an iMac, returned it, but realised I'd kept the install DVDs in error. I tried the disks on the identical replacement and they didn't work. It threw up an error along the lines of this disk is not usable on this system. Something like that.

7. Flameout thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL if had my thinking hat on I would have realised sooner that my install cds are intel ones... D'oh

thanks for the responses anyway folks