OS x install without disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blaake, Sep 4, 2013.

1. blaake macrumors regular

I posted a thread yesterday and no one could really answer me. all i am trying to do is install os x 10.6 on this empty hard drive without the disk. Does anyone have an idea how to do this? Is there a download somewhere?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You can buy 10.6 from Apple, not sure they still sell it but it's about $29 and it comes on a DVD.

3. blaake thread starter macrumors regular

is it necessary to buy it? the computer originally came with it on there, is there a download somewhere for people who have lost the disk?

4. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Not legally, or discussable on this forum.

5. blaake thread starter macrumors regular

I am in no way of trying to illegally download it. I just wasn't sure if the OS made a connection with the machine that it came installed on it. Like how the internet recovery works on the newer machines...

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why would you expect anyone to replace for free something you lost? Besides it's cheap.

That's why buying stuff from the app store is great, you can't lose it.

7. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You can use an external enclosure for the new disk to connect it up to your machine that already has the 10.6 installed. Once that is done open Disk Utility to format/partition the new drive for an OSX install namely HFS+ formatted GUID partitioned then choose the Restore option using the existing install as the source new drive as the destination. When this has completed you will now have identical copy of your existing LEGAL OS on the new drive.