OS X Installation Help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by -Ray-, Jul 2, 2011.

1. -Ray- macrumors regular

-Ray-

I have a MBP 13 M2010 model. I replaced the harddrive and when i went to reinstall OSX off of the restore cd it failed due to a huge scratch on the disc.

I purchased 10.6 from the store for $30 and went to install it but it says "computer must be restarted" over and over when i try to run the disc. I got my hands on 10.6.3 and 10.6.7 files and when i try to load them i get the no symbol. What do i do? am i stuck running windows on this machine? ugh..

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Are you using disk utility (on the installer) to erase the original partition?

3. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

thats the thing.. i cant even get to the installer.. stuck at no symbol and and spinning wheel. on the original disc, i can get to the disc utility. is this something i should try?

Should i erase the partition with the original disc, restart
    then insert the 10.6.3 disc?

i honestly dont feel like having to reinstall windows.. once again if this fails.? I have even DL copies of the internet.. cleared the ram, reset the battery. everything.. im at a total loss

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Could be something wrong with the optical drive. I'd take it into Apple and have them take a gander.

5. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

but the original disc works.. but fails half way because of the scratch, all the windows cds work.. xp - win 7 so i dont think its something with the optical drive.. i did replace the standard 250 drive with a WD 500GB drive. But i was recommended this one by many mac users

i am burning the discs via windows but using transmac and ultraiso as recommended

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What's wrong with this disk? If it's scratched exchange it.

So you have two scratched disks?

PS please don't start new posts on the same topic as your other posts.

7. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

the 10.6 wont istall retail copy and is not scratched. i just get no symboll and spinning wheel. m 10.6.4 that came with the computer will load to setup but fails because of freezing and timeout due to a scratch.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Since the retail Snow Leopard disk won't work take it to Apple. Somethings wrong.
    Unless it's the HDD, is it a Seagate XT by chance? If so it's got issues with some versions of the firmware.

9. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

i just read online that the mid 10 wont take anything less than 10.6.3 ND MY retail disc is just 10.6. so that explains the restart. the 10.6.3 im reburning.. trying to weed out the issues..

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom