OS X installed in one machine and used in another

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lled7, Sep 30, 2012.

1. lled7 macrumors newbie

I have an 2006 iMac with a Core 2 Duo and 3GB of memory and a 2009 13" Mac Book Pro with a Core 2 Duo and 8GB of memory.

I'm sure the best practice would be to install Mac OS X to an SSD while using the Mac Book Pro. However, I was wondering if I can on my iMac, install Mac OS X to an SSD in a firewire hard drive dock and then use that SSD and replace the hard drive in the Mac Book Pro? Thanks in advance for the replies....

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

3. lled7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though both units use different graphics cards it should still work right?

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

In that case, you may have some driver and compatibility issues. I misread the OP and assumed you were moving from one Mac to another of the same type - my fault.

I would recommend installing OS X either while the SSD is connected to the FW port of the Macbook, or after the SSD has been inserted into the Macbook.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

I think you will have no issues. A couple of years ago my 8 core Mac Pro had to go into the shop. I had a cloned backup of the Mac Pro's boot disk on an external drive. I simply booted my MBP (lap top) off the external drive. They were the same year however. But I think OS X installs a complete version of itself, and then checks the HW as it boots. If it finds a different set than the last boot, it will simply use the appropriate drivers.

6. lled7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes these two are of different years (2006 and 2009). Different video cards and probably different Intel chipsets. I guess I can give it a try and report back. I was hoping someone had already gone down this road for me and give me some insight.