OS X Installers Downloaded Prior to February 14 No Longer Work After Certificate Update

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2016.

1. L Caputo macrumors 6502

L Caputo

Right OK so I tried to reinstall my original copy of El Capitan (10.11) and got the warning, but i could not see Utilities Terminal under the Installer menubar...... So instead of I went to System Preferences>Date and Time and changed the date to 1st Feb 2016, restarted the Install and it went ahead.

2. kyte macrumors newbie

kyte

Yeah. I tried to do this and it told me it was already downloaded.

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Yes, if you have already downloaded the installer, and you have left it on your hard drive, then the App Store will tell you that it is already downloaded. Trash your older copy - which the App Store puts in the Applications folder. Be sure to empty the trash.
    You don't want to keep the version with the expired license, so no reason to store that somewhere else, but you do need to remove it from the drive that you are booted from.

Then, the App Store will let you download it again. You can just click past the message that says you already have that version.
    If you want to keep that downloaded installer, then cancel the install when the download completes.
    You may not want to install at that time, so quit the installer, then copy that app to another drive. If you are not continuing with an install at that time, delete the app from your internal hard drive.

4. kyte macrumors newbie

kyte

I've always copied installers to an external drive. But it still wont download. Oh well, never mind. I may end up starting over on Snow Leopard at some point. At least I still have a DVD for that, and can install as required.

5. DeltaMac, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Yes, and you still need to check for the installer app. It will be in your Applications folder. The app is quite large, so easy to find by size. Take a good look on your internal drive. When you find it (and you will :D ) drag it to the trash, then empty the trash.
    If it is definitely not on your internal drive, be sure to UNMOUNT, eject any drive that would also have that app. It must be there somewhere.
    App store will let you download again, but not if it can "see" the installer already downloaded. (I have done this probably 20 times, just on El Cap, and that's how it works from the App Store.) The App Store Purchased screen will show your OS X installer as "Downloaded", and NOT "Download", if the installer is still on your drive.
    Do you see the difference?
    Of course, you can still use El Cap, or Yosemite/Mavericks installers, even with the expired certificate, you just set the date back.
    But, I can also assure that first removing all current OSX installer apps WILL then let App Store re-download the installer that you want.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have the installer on an attached external drive the App Store will show it as "downloaded" and will not let you download again. Either delete that version or eject the external drive, then you should be able to download.

7. MrAverigeUser, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

Still using OSX 10.8.5 I am nevertheless thinking about testing newer OSX….

Did never "buy" (for money) something in the app store (except a DVD with Snow Leopard as a security sometime ago because I was afraid of the bugs of lion) , but download a handful of free apps.

Regarding after a longtime again my account, I see that - for whatever reason - I "bought" Mavericks in May 2014, but did not download. So - I will download Mavericks to be shure to have it in case of…
    I am very pleased that - again: for whatever reason - the app-store tells me, that I have the right to download Yosemite as well.

So - I COULD save them both locally in case of…..

QUESTION:

If I´d buy a 128-250 GB SSD and create some partitions with Snow Leopard and nothing but my app-access on each partition, will I be able to boot from each of the multiple SL-partition and then download/install mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan on each of the partitions, so that I have all OSX bootable? would be fine to have 4 boootable partitions with the last 4 OSX… (I guess 30 GB space for each partition are enough since SL has about 3 and even El Capitan not more than 7 GB ?)...

Will every partition then be bootable separately from the partition?
    This would be fine: to be able to test first seriously all of the 3 OSX "new" to me before definitely writing over my OSX 10.8.5 system…

Thanks for answers in advance...

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes to all your questions. That will work assuming your Mac is capable of running the OS X versions you mentioned.

9. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

That´s very good news… :) would be easy to create such a little SSD and then clone one of the partitions on a system-SSD… if necessary/useful so one day…

10. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

That's not always the case. My building had been on copper wires until fibre was fitted 2 weeks ago. And I'm slap bang in the middle of a city. You're implying that people not having a decent Internet connection is out of choice or stubbornness.

11. michaelkmurray macrumors newbie

michaelkmurray

I had this problem this morning. It seems to be caused by having an Installer already somewhere on your computer. Not wanting to delete it until I had the new one I compressed my current one, deleted the uncompressed one and re-opened the App Store application at which point it was happy to download.

12. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

Congratulations

A very elegant and very smart way to solve the problem!

13. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

I copy all my Virgin OS X installers to a NAS, so no worries about the MAS discovering the installers on my syste.! For any OS X point update not depending on which version is available in the MAS anymore!

Cheers
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2016 ---
    Using a fake identity as handle is the worst downgrade for humanity (and MR)! :rolleyes:

Cheers

14. pipRocket macrumors newbie

pipRocket

How? explain I’m new to Mac.

15. anzio macrumors 6502

If you’re downloading an older OS X installer, you should be able to find previous OS X updates in your Purchased tab in the App Store on your Mac (hold option while clicking the purchased tab). Newer macOS releases do not show up in Purchased, however.

That assumes you’ve downloaded those previous OS X updates before.