OS X intensified study

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oleglestat, Jul 18, 2012.

1. oleglestat, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

oleglestat macrumors newbie

Hi,
    pls suggest some books to help me learn in depth os x. I can clean cache, but i even dont know what are they for? what kext is? what is meaning of every file? what behind GUI? what i can do with terminal? how to write scripts etc. The book, that will teach me how ot control system.
    Pls dont suggest user guides like Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Go to Amazon and search for "osx internals" for a starter. Some of the books have not been updated, but there's still a lot there.

What is "I can clean cash" ???

You will not necessarily find the meaning of every file.

BTW learning all the details of OSx requires you to fully understand the internals of an operating system, which is not a trivial subject. You will need at least 6 months or a year to fully understand OSx.

3. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

This was a book recommended to anyone who wanted to attempt to write kernel extensions for their OSX86 system a couple of years back. It is very thorough. Since it was published in 2006, it may be a bit out of date. But what you learn from it will enable you to acknowledge and understand the changes made to Mac OS X since then.

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Internals-Systems-Approach/dp/0321278542

4. oleglestat thread starter macrumors newbie

5. RMXO macrumors 6502a

6. benwiggy, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

benwiggy macrumors 68020

You will find a lot of information on the internet, without having to buy books, which often become outdated.
    There are loads of pages on Unix shell scripting. Apple also provides excellent documentation in its developer section.

BTW, you don't need to clean caches. Unless you have a problem. OS X does not need any interventional maintenance.

O'Reilly publishing produced lots of good manuals on OS X, Unix and related technologies.

7. oleglestat thread starter macrumors newbie

tnx for editing