OS X Internet Sharing with iPhone -- can't get valid IP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rogersmj, Dec 17, 2007.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Since our office uses WPA Enterprise WiFi -- a feature so in demand that "wpa enterprise iphone" is the first suggested Google search term when you type "wpa enterpr" -- I figured I'd setup Internet sharing through my MacBook Pro for use when I'm at work.

I've never used OS X Internet Sharing before, because I just have a router at home, but it looked pretty straightforward. I'm connected to my work network/Internet via ethernet, so I enabled sharing through the AirPort, created a network name and simple WEP password. The iPhone sees the network, asks me for the password, successfully connects, but then can't get a valid IP! It just winds up with 169.x.x.x. When I turned on Web Sharing, just for giggles, the iPhone got a 10.0.2.2 address (with a 10.0.2.1 gateway) but can't connect to the Internet -- just the MacBook Pro's Apache server.

Anyone know how to get the iPhone a valid IP? Do I need to set it manually?

Attached Files:

2. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

OK, I figured it out:

I set the iPhone's IP, subnet, DNS, and gateway statically to the same set that had been assigned to me while the MBP's Web Sharing was on...then I turned Web Sharing on the MBP off. Now I have access to the internet via WiFi through my MacBook Pro.

Hope that helps anyone else who runs into the same issue.

3. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Never mind, I lied...now it doesn't work. At some point it just stopped and I can't get it working again.

Anyone know anything about this? Can I get a DHCP server working on the MBP without jailing the iPhone to the MBP's Apache server?

EDIT: I turned off encryption and it's sort of working...I get an IP and I can start to load a web page, but it never finishes. Google, Yahoo, Apple, NYT...the page loads about halfway, and then Safari just hangs, with the little data spinner up in the menu bar going on and on and on.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

You're not alone. I also connect through internet sharing on my iMac and watch my iPhone hang on loading pages, though I've never had to manually set IP.

Oddly enough, my wife's macbook connects to the internet without issue using this method. I haven't been able to figure out what the difference is...

5. coma macrumors newbie

anyone found a possible solution for this? -iphone using internet sharing from a mac computer, through airport.

6. Hyaline macrumors newbie