OS X is getting ripped apart - part by part!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ryum, May 19, 2009.

1. ryum macrumors newbie

Seriously, this is just scaring me ********.

On Sunday, I discovered that my entire keyring was deleted - all passwords and certificates - gone.

Next, all my "Recent Files" in applications such as Adobe Photoshop CS4 and After Effects CS4 were completly wiped out, and after that, they are no longer saved there anymore.

Yesterday, all my "Places" in the finder sidebar got wiped out.

Also, search isn't working properly.

As I just logged in to check my mail, a wizard popped up, asking me to set up a mail account! So WTF is happening?

I've tried looking into the ****** OS X console to find any interesting error messages, but as Adium spams the log, I'll be sitting around looking for days after a snippet to post for you, so I ask; do you have any idea what these symptoms mean?

I'm planning to back up all my important files and do a "delete and install" in about an hour, because I'm afraid my personal, important files will disappear soon.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Last time you ran disk first aid from the Install DVD, or used fsck?

Last time you ran repair permissions from the HD (must be the HD)?

3. ryum thread starter macrumors newbie

Never done that, the only thing I've done is to do an Archive & Install 1-2 weeks ago.

4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

it might be suggested to do a repair permissions in disk utility to see what that brings up

just a thought.

PTP

5. Diaresi macrumors regular

Yeah, backup user files (NOT preferences), format and then reinstall will flush out any problems :) Of course it takes quite a bit of time but it's the only way to start fresh.

While repairing permissions is worth a try, it's not this magical problem solving solution.

Have a read

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Boot from DVD run Disk Utility/First Aid/Repair Disk -- since this won't repair the boot volume.

Boot normally run Disk Utility/First Aid/Repair Permission -- since this MUST BE run on the boot volume to make sure it uses the info on the boot drive to make the repairs.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Do you use FileVault? I assume after restarting problems still existed?

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well you did reinstall system recently. Why did you do that? Might be the same problem, say failing harddrive?

9. howardnow macrumors member

bad ram can do this

On my computer, the OS and other programs did odd things like you are describing due to bad ram.
    First I reloaded the OS and most programs and soon had other similar software problems.
    I ran the ram check disk and it did not find a problem, but since changing the ram out everything has been fine for years.
    Try the other forum suggestions first, but I was amazed at what odd things can happen with problematic ram.

10. ryum thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again, guys!

Thanks for all the answers, after reading them, I decided to reinstall the entire OS. It's working smooth at the moment, but if the problem occurs again I'll do a disk check and eventually have a look into the RAM.

The RAM shouldn't be a problem as I have a Unibody MBP with 2 gigs of ram (unmodified), but well, idk.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

My bet is that your preferences were getting corrupted somehow (wonky installer, disk corruption, etc.)

It's possible, but less likely that you've got a bad DIMM. If that's the case, its effects will soon become apparent...

12. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Or.. did you change your username in the sidebar? This will reset things just like you describe.

At least now you have a fresh system. :)