OS X is HUGE!

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
83
0
Hi all,

I know this has been asked somewhere before, but searching for it produced such a wide range of results I couldn't filter it. Anyway.

I have a MacBook Pro with the 80 GB HD (Ok, 74GB after formatting...) which I just reformatted. I'm very pleased to have 55 GB of free space after huge video files took over :p

Anyway, in thinking how nice it is, there's just still one little thing I'm wondering... where did the 1st 20 GB of my space go? Is there anything I can safely delete to regain some of that space? I know that I shouldn't quibble about it when I have 55GB left, but I'm very tight, with both money and storage space, apparently. :p

-John
 

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
1,186
0
Under the sun
I was surpirsed at first too! I pushed mine up to 63GB though. First, get monolingual to delete languages. I deleted programs I'll never, ever use. Like comic life, sherlock, etc. I think you can do a custom reinstall, but it seemed to much trouble to me. (a.k.a. i'm lazy). If you're not going to use garageband you can delete those loops. And delete the printer drives you won't be using (they take almost 2GB). Use omnisweeper (I think that's the name) to see where everything is going
 

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
27,400
12,410
Tons of threads about this topic.

Download Delocalizer to remove other languages
Printer drivers you don't need
Garageband loops if you don't use

Go to terminal and type Format c:
 

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
1,351
0
I'm only really here at night.
Even with a FULL install of OS X, plus the Developer tools/X11, AND about 100 major apps, 500 huge photos/images, 200+ songs, utilities, maintenance and miscellaneous apps, my main system HD still weighs in at less than 20gb.......

but you can remove stuff yourself, or use utilities to do it for you.....

things like:

A) All languages you dont use
B) All printer drives except the ones for your current printer(s)
C) Duplicate files....ie more than one copy of documents & apps
D) ALL Classic/OS 9 files, if you dont need it
E) System, user, internet and other cache files etc etc.....yada, yada, yada

versiontracker, macupdate, Google etc R your freinds :p
 

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
83
0
Thank you very much. :D I'm very pleased to get my space back. :)

-John
 

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
472
28
Calgary, Canada
How much space do you have now? I'm ordering my MacBook soon and am planning on removing any extraneous files/apps I don't need, so a mental size frame would be cool.
 

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
2,205
1
Embarrassing question:

If you delete the languages, will your translator widget still function?
 

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
623
38
PA
X5-452 said:
How much space do you have now? I'm ordering my MacBook soon and am planning on removing any extraneous files/apps I don't need, so a mental size frame would be cool.
i have a 60GB macbook (55GB after formatting i guess) and after deleting languages and printer drivers im down to 33GB now with 8GB of music and about 3GB of apple loops/idvd themes/not-using programs that i could delete. so thats about 11GB for OSX and apps...
 

Core Trio

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
175
0
New Jersey
just wondering, if you go and delete the languages, lets just say you need one of them for any reason (although I cant think of one off the top of my head), is there any way to get them back??
 

maxiam

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2006
13
0
If you remove (or don't install) the stuff mentioned above plus any apps you don't need, OSX can be pretty slim.
The 10.3.9 install I have on my Pismo is around 2GB.
 

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
717
0
London, UK
There is a neat way to recover significant amounts of space on Macosxhints without having to delete files.
Hard drive space is still a premium on laptops, and media files can eat a lot of that space. Here's a little trick to minimize the space taken up by applications that are not used frequently. It's a simple idea -- put the individual applications on individual compressed disk images using Disk Utility. Then create a folder for the disk image, and put an alias (pointing to the application on the image) in the folder with it. Store this folder in your Applications folder.
There are a few caveats relating to Updates, but these are covered in the original article.
 

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2006
313
4
I know this defeats the OP's question, but you could buy an external Hdd. I saw a 300gb one for $160 at BestBuy not too long ago.
 

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
6,166
350
The Cool Part of CA, USA
chairguru22 said:
i have a 60GB macbook (55GB after formatting i guess)
This brings up yet another source of confusion for people with new computers who think the OS is eating up more space than it is--when they say "80GB" drive, the OS reports that as about 75GB. So 5GB of your space, in a manner of speaking, never existed.

The reason has been covered dozens of times on this forum and elsewhere, but basically hard drive sizes as sold (the numbers given by the manufacturers) don't use quite the same calculation as the OS does. A "manufacturer GB" is 10^9 bytes, while an "OS GB" (Mac and Windows) is 2^30 bytes. As a result, drives "appear" smaller in the size reported by the OS, although both numbers are technically correct.

It isn't formatting that eats the space, though--that's a few megabytes at absolute most.
 

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
623
38
PA
Makosuke said:
This brings up yet another source of confusion for people with new computers who think the OS is eating up more space than it is--when they say "80GB" drive, the OS reports that as about 75GB. So 5GB of your space, in a manner of speaking, never existed.

The reason has been covered dozens of times on this forum and elsewhere, but basically hard drive sizes as sold (the numbers given by the manufacturers) don't use quite the same calculation as the OS does. A "manufacturer GB" is 10^9 bytes, while an "OS GB" (Mac and Windows) is 2^30 bytes. As a result, drives "appear" smaller in the size reported by the OS, although both numbers are technically correct.

It isn't formatting that eats the space, though--that's a few megabytes at absolute most.
i see... still dont have 60 though ;)
 

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
288
0
How much RAM does OS X use? I just read an article stating that Vista uses "16 GB of space and 700MB of RAM" and wondered how OS X compared.
 

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
4,714
0
Gah! Plymouth
ready2switch said:
How much RAM does OS X use? I just read an article stating that Vista uses "16 GB of space and 700MB of RAM" and wondered how OS X compared.
512MB of RAM is the minimum for it to be fully usable. However you can get by on less. I have 512 on my laptop and 3GB of my powermac. So it depends on what you use of course.*


*OS X 10.4 Tiger used
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
joebells said:
my girlfriends g5 imac uses the whole 2 gigs she has installed
I'm constantly on 1GB as well (out of 1.5)

And for the original poster, you don't loose space by formatting, the drives are measured in bytes...drives say 1000 bytes = 1KB although your OS sees 1KB as 1024 Bytes ;)
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,802
172
Bergen, Norway
Platform said:
And for the original poster, you don't loose space by formatting, the drives are measured in bytes...drives say 1000 bytes = 1MB although your OS sees 1MB as 1024 Bytes ;)
You lose a bit, and back in the days the hard drives were 20 or 40 MB then it was actually noticeable... nowadays not so...

Also: 1MB = 1 000 000 bytes for HDs and 1024 *1024 bytes for the OS... ;)
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
You lose a bit, and back in the days the hard drives were 20 or 40 MB then it was actually noticeable... nowadays not so...

Also: 1MB = 1 000 000 bytes for HDs and 1024 *1024 bytes for the OS... ;)
Back then it did matter, yes.

And sorry for the mix up up K and M...hehe (1000 and a million not a big deal right ? :( ...it is sorry)