Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
That's very true, if I took the startup time of Netscape as an example on my G3 running OS 9, I may say that OS 9 is slow as hell. But that is just about the only thing that takes a while to startup, whereas every other program launches almost instantly as soon as I click on the icon. It's not the system that is slow in most cases, but the programs that are. If Adobe, Microsoft, and others took more time to optimize and work on their coding, then programs like Office and Photoshop may run that much faster. If you simply go clicking around OS X itself and use many different parts of the system, you'll quickly realize that it does many things quite well and with great speed.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
oh, i don't know about blaming the apps so much. for one thing, OS X's greatness should shine through the apps you use on it. photoshop is the mac program. i don't think the real problem with it is that it is poorly done, but more that it's just a rather intensive program to load, a la mozilla. that doesn't mean it's not fast. it's darn fast for me. it likes a lot of RAM though. i wouldn't go blaming them for porting badly; i mean, come on, the guy that wrote in is bitching about safari and iTunes. it's not the apps. there's either something wrong with his computer that is not wrong with mine and most of the rest of ours, or he is being a fastidious jerk-troll.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
On the subject of app switching, I don't know how you're switching apps, but I'd say that Exposé is the best way.

I'm using the Panther beta, and Exposé is really great for picking exactly the right window. What's even more amazing is the fact that Exposé has zero lag on my pokey 800 MHz G4. The movement is seamless, and it looks pretty darned cool.

Also, in Panther Cmd-Tab doesn't highlight the dock like it used to. Instead, icons for the open apps, sorted from most recently used to least recently used, appears in the front of the screen. You can switch apps by hitting tab again, using the left or right arrow keys, or by selecting it with the mouse. It's an improvement over the old way (in my opinion, at least).

Really, if you're that upset with your Macs you might as well sell them. At least half the posters in this thread would love to take that Cube off your hands (myself included).

BTW, nice new 'tar vniow (I've been gone for a month, so maybe it isn't new at all, but I haven't seen it before).

krohde

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2002
Europe, UK
Sorry I havent responded earlier. I was away all day friday and saturday and have only had time to sit down now to check my email etc.

My powerbook is maxed out. By that I mean 640MB ram, 60gb, AP Xtreme, superdrive, everything you could add I did. I dont know what is wrong with this machine. It might be that the ram is broken. The only thing is I see 640mb as installed when I click About this mac in the apple menu.

When I said switch program etc. i meant getting the program to the forefront from hiding.

I also ran MacJanitor to do the cache cleaning. I don't know what to do to get this baby running any faster. When I see people with lower clock speeds and less ram I get even more confused.

How could I check to see if the Ram is broken?

Thanks and sorry for not responding any earlier.

KR

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Re: OS X is LAME

Originally posted by krohde
Alright, Apple better have a speedy response time ready for their Panther release. I'm using a 12" PB and under Jaguar the response time is redicolous. It takes about 1.5 seconds for me to bring to front Entourage and iTunes, and I don't even wanna talk about PhotoShop. At work I have a 1.8Ghz P4 with Win2000. The programs are instantly displayed and ready for action. In OS X that is clearly not the case. I've been a mac user for 3 years now, even managed to convert some friends. I have a cube, and my PB 12. I am going to give OS X one more chance, if it doesn't speed up, I'm going to switch the "wrong" way - it's going to be cheaper too.

Is your system slow too (I'm not referring to those of you with dual 1 or 1.42 ghz systems)?

KR

I'm so agree with you, actually when I read the title the first time I though it was an old post of mine.

OSX is the best example of "the king has no clothes". Jobs made a terrible mistake and I feel pity for those that believe blandy this OS is superior to 9. OSX is not such big deal, 9.5 would be the same thing at the end, plus OSX added more problems like the lame, slow and stupid file managment.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Re: OS X is LAME

Alright, Apple better have a speedy response time ready for their Panther release. I'm using a 12" PB and under Jaguar the response time is redicolous. It takes about 1.5 seconds for me to bring to front Entourage and iTunes, and I don't even wanna talk about PhotoShop. At work I have a 1.8Ghz P4 with Win2000. The programs are instantly displayed and ready for action. In OS X that is clearly not the case. I've been a mac user for 3 years now, even managed to convert some friends. I have a cube, and my PB 12. I am going to give OS X one more chance, if it doesn't speed up, I'm going to switch the "wrong" way - it's going to be cheaper too.

Is your system slow too (I'm not referring to those of you with dual 1 or 1.42 ghz systems)?

KR

I think it's the 12"er's lack of L3 cache that makes it appear slow. I win.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Perhaps if you do a fresh install of OS X and then go in and do what you want to do from there. That would give you a fresh start and give you the ability to systematically configure your computer and if it starts to slow down after that, you can easily peg what's to blame.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Re: Re: OS X is LAME

Originally posted by mymemory
I'm so agree with you, actually when I read the title the first time I though it was an old post of mine.

OSX is the best example of "the king has no clothes". Jobs made a terrible mistake and I feel pity for those that believe blandy this OS is superior to 9. OSX is not such big deal, 9.5 would be the same thing at the end, plus OSX added more problems like the lame, slow and stupid file managment.

So protected memory, dynamic memory management, symmetric multiprocessing, multithreading, preemptive multitasking, the stability of Unix, the ubiquity of Unix, efficient virtual memory, an efficient UI server, a lack of viruses, and strong security mean nothing to you?

They mean a lot to me.

What are you talking about with the "lame, slow, and stupid file management" anyway? HFS+ and UFS are about as good as they get. FAT32/NFTS certainly doesn't do much for me.

Still, Apple shoud have gone with NuKernel instead of NeXT's kernel.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Re: OS X is LAME

;P

Originally posted by mymemory
So did a lot of other people.
OSX is the best example of "the king has no clothes".
:eek:

Now I'd almost think you were talking about yourself with that comment.
attachment.php
plus OSX added more problems like the lame, slow and stupid file managment.
Considering OS X went with OS 9s file management system as the default, we finally have a winner on the Lame-o-meter.

And it's getting real close to needing a good facelift, since the RAID devices are getting too close to the old HFS+ limits.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
On my iMac 400 Jag runs about .5 seconds for bringing a window forward, and that includes a window redraw to fill in missing content. You definitely have a problem that's not normal behavior. The only time I see lags pulling windows forward is if it's a Big app, like photoshop or VPC or something... then it might take a second or two along with a redraw. But that's acceptable for a 400 G3, not a new G4.

pnw

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
When I said switch program etc. i meant getting the program to the forefront from hiding.

How could I check to see if the Ram is broken?
KR
If your ram is broken, then you couldn't use, um, use your computer. So its not that. You might want to check out if your computer has any background services/daemons running in the background sucking all your CPU/RAM cycles away. You can check the processes that are running by using the "Process Viewer" in the Utilities folder. Sort by "CPU Usage" and check if something isn't going to high. Also, leaving too many apps open (triangle under the icon in the dock) doesn't release the memory for that app, so try and close all your apps, then switch between only two and see how fast it is.

Try switching between mail and safari...its gotta be nothing but instant...if its between mozilla and word...then I totally understand...

And to the guy who said the emperor has no clothes: I wouldn't even own a mac if it wasn't for OS X....so somebody's doing something right...

DeadlyBreakfast

macrumors regular
Sheesh you guys are hard on old Stevie. I also would never have switched if it wasent for X. I mean really..OS9 was looking kinda outdated.

As far as performance goes, my iBook hauls. I dont really notice any large gaps of nothingness. Even switching between Project Builder and VPC is almost instant. Maybe I just have never felt a PB before but it sure is quick enough for me..

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Fukui
If your ram is broken, then you couldn't use, um, use your computer.

-Fukui

Well (heh) that's an interesting choice of words. If the RAM was broken on a level like the slot, or the solders to the logic board, yes, the machine would, most likely, not even make the the startup 'bong'.

However, individual RAM chips can go bad at any given moment. And when one, or two do this, very strange things manifest. Slowdowns and general wackyness is not unusual.

krohde, I think you shousl indeed test it. As for the "King not having any clothes", I'd agree if it were 10.0. However, in 10.2, I've finally decided for myself, that it's truly better than 9.

My favorite feature? The manifestation of the premptive multitasking. Yes, some apps like Photoshop take a second to launch, sooo, Whil it's launching, I lauch other apps I know I'll be needing. Or while I'm performing a raytrace, I'll switch to another app and do something else. Couldn't do that in 9, and it's one-thing-at-a-time attitude.

krohde

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2002
Europe, UK
how do I test my RAM

Can someone please provide some information on how to test if your ram is broken. Is there a freeware program I can use or do I have to buy a program?

Thanks

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Fukui
You might want to check out if your computer has any background services/daemons running in the background sucking all your CPU/RAM cycles away. You can check the processes that are running by using the "Process Viewer" in the Utilities folder. Sort by "CPU Usage" and check if something isn't going to high...

Try that on OS 9.
I can understand that many people out there think OS 9 is faster than OS X 10.2 on the same machine. But it's only percieved speed while opening a folder, or moving windows around and so on in the Finder.
The real "machine" behind OS X is NOT the speed of the overloaded eye-candy Finder. It's about real multitasking (not the crappy way OS 9 did...), excellent memory management and protective memory. If an app crashes in X, no big deal. In OS 9 your were pretty sure you'd have to reboot the Mac.
I know that all this heavy eye-candy makes a single sub-1Ghz, non-Quartz Extreme, < 512 MB RAM - Mac "feel" slow in the Finder. Burn a DVD, play iTunes, surf the web in Safari, write your doc in Word all at the same time wthout being frightenend something bad will happen, all adds up to the speed of you using the OS.

So in short: Mac OS X lets you use your Mac efficiently, thus making it fast.
The ooohhs and aaahhs about Aqua's beauty comes with a penalty: Your processor and grfx card have to do quite alot. But, this OS is the future. And one thing is very clear: Macs are getting faster and faster....

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Re: how do I test my RAM

Can someone please provide some information on how to test if your ram is broken. Is there a freeware program I can use or do I have to buy a program?

Thanks

Didn't you get the Apple Hardware Test CD with your Mac?
Try using that.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Burn a DVD, play iTunes, surf the web in Safari, write your doc in Word all at the same time wthout being frightenend something bad will happen, all adds up to the speed of you using the OS.
Exactly. And on my 450 Cube, I can do all that (CD Burning anyway) without too much slow down. OS X really is already fast, and getting faster...some companies' apps though...need some work.

alexholden

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2003
something does not feel right... [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah i hear ya, im not NEARLY as happy w/ my new 12' PB as
i would have thought.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by alexholden
yeah i hear ya, im not NEARLY as happy w/ my new 12' PB as
i would have thought.
contentment is something that would definitely make you feel better about your computer. it's gone a long way for me.

and when it doesn't, i can always resort to "my computer is better than yours :p"

;)

alexholden

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by shadowfax
contentment is something that would definitely make you feel better about your computer. it's gone a long way for me.
and when it doesn't, i can always resort to "my computer is better than yours :p"
;)

what would make me feel better about my computer is if

imovie3 actually worked!! ive downloaded all of the updates
and it still doesnt work!!

im very disapointed in apple. ive been using imovie on os9 for
a year and had no problems! and now after a week imovie on
ox 10 is completley trashed?!?!?!?!

i cant beilve it....i would expect this from a pc but never apple.

alexholden

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Sounds like a possible software conflict to me.

which software conflicting with what??

do you have any idea of how i would go about fixing it??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.