Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aragorn234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I am relative new back into the Macs after being a dedicated user of Windows machines.
I have a 2011 iMac which runs smooth as silk at all times using some intensive applications (Safari, Mail, Photoshop and Lightroom). I upgraded this machine to 8Gb just so it would not hit a limit. I have never seen the Beach Ball on this machine.

My work place is all Macbook Pros (and a few Airs). When I started less than a year ago I was given an early 2011 Macbook Pro 15. This machine worked well until I started to open lots of applications then I got the Beachball. When Lion came everyone was upgraded to Lion and since then the beach ball is. The MBP has 8Gb of RAM and the system lags terribly.

I also have this issue where the screen saver activates ramdomly during use. the only fix I can find online advises to delete a file from library\preferences et etc but that does not resolve the issue.

None of the guys at work know the cause or how to fix (IT department). Do you think a clean install would be the way to go, to get a quick resolution to the issue?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This machine worked well until I started to open lots of applications then I got the Beachball. When Lion came everyone was upgraded to Lion and since then the beach ball is. The MBP has 8Gb of RAM and the system lags terribly.
Performance Tips For Mac OS X
I also have this issue where the screen saver activates ramdomly during use. the only fix I can find online advises to delete a file from library\preferences et etc but that does not resolve the issue.

System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Aragorn234,

As GGJstudios was hinting at, there are several screen saver settings to choose from under the System Preferences. You can adjust how long the computer is idle before it activates the screen saver and you can also pick a hot corner.

I'm guessing that you have or someone has set a "hot corner", and when you put your mouse in that corner, it activates the screen saver. If that were the case, it would appear that the screen saver is coming on for no apparent reason and it will come on even when you are using the computer (not idle). It is that or you just have the timer set to an incredibly low number and when you are idle for even a short amount of time, the screen saver comes on.

MechaSpanky

Aragorn234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Aragorn234,

As GGJstudios was hinting at, there are several screen saver settings to choose from under the System Preferences. You can adjust how long the computer is idle before it activates the screen saver and you can also pick a hot corner.

I'm guessing that you have or someone has set a "hot corner", and when you put your mouse in that corner, it activates the screen saver. If that were the case, it would appear that the screen saver is coming on for no apparent reason and it will come on even when you are using the computer (not idle). It is that or you just have the timer set to an incredibly low number and when you are idle for even a short amount of time, the screen saver comes on.

MechaSpanky

Thanks for the reply Mecha.
Hot corners was one of my original thoughts also. I have checked, re checked and triple checked and have no HC active at all. I have set screen saver also and it is not short.

To give an idea of the random activation.
Writing a lengthy email. Half way through (while typing) Ss activates. YES goes straight to screen saver. It is a real pain. Might happen once a day or 5 times a day.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
If you didn't do a clean Lion install, this could be a source of the problems. I absolutely would back up your data, wipe the drive, and do a clean Lion install, and then reinstall your apps.

I dislike OS "upgrades." They've been problematic for me, especially Windows, but OS X has had its issues when upgrading. It's why I always do a clean install, period.

Don't do a Time Machine install. Do it clean from a newly wiped hard drive. I'd bet good money this solves all your issues.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
I am think new install. However need to find the time to do it. Might have to do it after work one day.

This is my take on this,I was having the EXACT same problems but then i transfered my important data to an external hardrive and did the reinstall on the harddrive and it runs faster then snow leopard:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.