OS X just locked up in a very strange way...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 0dev, Feb 12, 2012.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I just woke my MacBook up and tried to play music from iTunes with the media keys and nothing happened, so I tried to click things in iTunes only to find it was unresponsive. I tried to use command + Q in iTunes but that didn't work either. I brought up the Force Quit window but it was completely blank. I clicked the Finder icon and was told "The application Finder can't be opened. -10810", with the Mac doing nothing at all when trying to click any other app icon.

I was eventually able to make the computer shut down and, after it booted back up again, I checked my Console logs and all the messages before the shut down seem to originate from Chrome:

[​IMG]

I did some searches for those Console messages but found nothing of any use.

What caused this do you reckon? A bug in Chrome? In the Window Server? In Finder?

I'm running OS X SL with all the latest updates installed.

Thanks.

----------

Looking through my logs again, it appears this is when it started:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I searched these errors and found a thread on Apple's support forums about this, but the people there were talking about it being linked to external hard drives. I've not plugged any HD or USB stick or anything into my Mac all day, though.

It does, however, seem to be a Snow Leopard bug which has existed since SL's release. Weird it's occurred completely randomly for me even after a fair few SL updates.

2. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I'm beginning to think the hard drive's on its way out. When the Mac's been reading and writing from it, it's been very slow in the past few months, and yesterday when I tried to close iTunes and Firefox they were both hanging while the drive was being frantically accessed.

As I type this on my iPad, I'm leaving my MacBook to do backups just in case it goes. Is there any way to test the health of the HD other than S.M.A.R.T. (which is reading as good)?

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I just did Repair Disk in Disk Utility from my startup disk (I've never used the word "disk" so many times in such a short sentence :p) and it said it found errors which it's now repaired. It could just be a placebo effect, but since doing that my Mac seems a lot faster. Let's just see if things stop acting up now.