Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
Does OS X have a built in L2TP/IPSEC vpn client? I read the following blurb on Apple's website, but I can't find this vpn client on my Mac.

Stay Connected with VPN said:
Many employers now let you work from home and use a DSL or cable modem to connect to the corporate network in order to collaborate with your colleagues over email or share files. But to protect the network from unwanted guests, companies often create a virtual private network (VPN), which requires additional software and configuration. Mac OS X Tiger is VPN-ready right out of the box and even supports VPN on demand, which connects and disconnects securely to the network as needed. Mac OS X Tiger includes a built-in VPN client that supports the Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol over Internet Protocol Security (L2TP/IPSec) and Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP), and is compatible with most popular VPN servers, including those from Cisco and Microsoft.

Found here about 3/4 of the way down the page: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/windows/

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
You use the Internet Connect program in Applications. Click on the VPN icon in the toolbar to start the configuration.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
not anymore

There's no "Internet Connect" in SnowLeopard.

I can't find the IPSec setup anywhere.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
No, these days you do it via System Preferences>Network. Click on the little + sign in the bottom left corner of the panel, select VPN and create the type you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.