OS X Leopard 10.5 work on Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jonty14, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jonty14 macrumors newbie

hi,

as title i recently got a Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 running OS X 10.2.3

i want to upgrade to OS X Leopard 10.5 but have been told i cannot as my machine has the IBM 970 processor

I will be buying a genuine OS X Leopard 10.5 disc for a clean install, but need to know whether it will be able to run it

any help much appreciated

2. redcupr macrumors member

redcupr

Your machine should run Leopard 10.5 just fine. I have a 1.8GHZ G5 Powermac with 3GB of RAM and it works quite well.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You are getting confused with Snow Leopard (10.6) 10.5 will work fine on any G5 Mac.

4. jonty14 thread starter macrumors newbie

when you say quite well does it all run properly as i have been told it doesnt

some features dont work etc...

any experience with this?

whats the best RAM for it aswell DDR PC3200... it can go up to 8GB cant it, is it worth going up to 8GB or will 4GB be fine

5. combat macrumors member

combat

Leopard should run perfectly fine on the G5, i know many people who have done that. 4GB should be fine for that computer and 10.5. I only have a MB with 10.6 and 1GB ram and it's still really fast.

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

Yes Leopard OS X 10.5.x will work fine on your machine, the person who told you otherwise was wrong. All features will work. Snow Leopard cannot be installed on PPC machines like your computer.
    In regard to the amount of RAM, that depends entirely on what applications you use, how many at the same time and the size of the files open, etc.
    For simple tasks, your 3GB may be fine. Some people say their 2GB laptops run fine and they can do everything they want to do with no problems.
    Check the Activity Monitor for RAM usage, if you are getting a lot of page outs, you need more RAM. I have 5GB in a similar PPC tower, and I never run low on RAM, with zero page outs, but then I do not use that computer for complicated tasks. I suspect 4GB would be fine for you.
    :cool::apple::cool:

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Leopard will work n a G4 1Ghz and above if i recall, i got it running on a G4 733, though it is a bit slow!!!

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are usually fairly authoritative answers to questions like yours on the Internet. A History of Apple Computers is a website that maintains excellent up-to-date information about every Apple computer model ever offered for sale. Its content and more are also available offline via the Mactracker utility.