OS X Leopard for iBook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thecharliebot, Jul 6, 2012.

1. thecharliebot macrumors newbie

Hello,

This will probably sound odd but here it goes. Will I be able to install os x leopard on my iBook G4, processor 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 and memory 1 GB DDR SDRAM. It is running os x 10.4.11 at the moment will I be able to upgrade?

Thank you thecharliebot

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yes, you will able to (according to my quick search on Google), but it's not recommended.

3. thecharliebot thread starter macrumors newbie

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It should work fine - I've run Leopard on a 1ghz Powerbook G4 before now without major problems.

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have Leopard on my 1.33 PB it's OK..

Just install it and give it a run, if you like it great of not clone your Tiger back on.

6. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Runs just fine on my setup as well (same as yours, 1.25GB Ram)

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Like I said it runs ok..just not like it does with Tiger. I could probably enabe 2D dock and such and save a bit but..1.25 is enough for Leopard I think it's more graphics ability vs. RAM usage..but I'm just guessing here.

8. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Smoother to me. I would never go back to Tiger. It just looks very bland compared to Leopard (plus Time Machine).

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If I used time machine it would be compelling but I don't..

Leopard looks modern Tiger looks more classic..

10. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Above..

..a 1.25 ghz G4 Leopard runs somewhat acceptably. There is no doubt Tiger would be faster, but...for Leopard webkit alone I would strongly consider it. Tenfourfox is getting slower by the minute.

Speaking of which I've been using the latest iCab on Tigeer...and its not bad. Not bad at all.

11. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Agreed here

Your iBook has the 'beef' to run Leopard without any worries. I don't think you will see any real perceptible slowdowns aside from maybe boot times and the occasional added bounce from the dock when starting a program.
    Here on my PB in my sig, 10.4.11 was like greased lightening, like others have said, support is really going to crap in a hand basket quick. Instead of greased lighting I know have speedy gremlin (the AMC kind ;)) but it's still quite useful to me in the day to day that I ask of it.
    If you have the universal install already, again clone your 10.4 install, give Leopard a go and see how it works for you. If nothing else, you can format, and go back to what works.

12. thecharliebot thread starter macrumors newbie

13. mac1984user, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I have Leopard installed on my 1.25 GHz G4 tower (single processor). The operating system runs well enough, actually. I've got 1.5GBs of RAM installed. I think your setup should work.

14. thecharliebot thread starter macrumors newbie

:mad:

:mad: I just tried to install leopard and it said that my system was unsupported! Then I used LeopardAssist and that did no do a thing. Please help me I really need leopard on my iBook g4. All you said it would work but it didn't.:( Thanks though.:)

15. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

The 1.42 GHz iBook would be the last 14" one (before things went Intel) and should run Leo just fine since my 1.33GHz 12" (also the last of it's kind) does it to (and both are pretty much the same when it comes to specs).

Some ideas:

- make sure you really have 10.5 !Retail! disc (well all others would be Intel only anyways)
    - make sure the disc is not damaged (maybe by doing a test-install on another Mac)
    - make sure your HW is o.k.

Once you managed to install Leo I would strongly suggest maxing out your RAM to 1.5GB (by replacing the 512MB DIMM with a 1GB one).

16. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Bingo!
    my first thought exactly.

17. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Well, with cleaned up Leopard with only PowerPC code(Intel has been stripped), Leopard flies on my PowerBook G4 1.67 High-Res. I am well pleased with its performance. The other installation of Leopard on my other drive is sluggish due to not being cleaned up.

Try to download monolingual or any other program which will strip all intel code from Leopard. Your G4 and or G5 will be glad you did :)