Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
my view of leopard is that it does have many advantages over tiger.

Its great! honestly its a vast improvement so far. Please don't knock it until you've tried it, the eye candy doesn't slow down the speed of the computer a noticeable amount, i'm on a mac mini and everything os smooth. There are bad bits to it, but i think thats the point of beta software, to iron out those bad bits? ( such as no keyboard shortcut to quicklook? )

It'll be fantastic in october.

p.s. i just remembered to mention my favourite new feature! For any one who has used a PC in the past, when you want to delete a file you click on the file then hit delete on your keyboard, well leopard can now do that! wahey. no more dragging to the trash! im so glad they finally added this in as it got on my nerves :D

anyway hope my little write up helps.

Thanks for that wonderful review and for taking the time to provide pics! It actually got me thinking about something other than the iPhone! ;)

It's always great to hear from someone who has actually used Leopard first-hand. I agree 100% on all your points. If all of the goodness that we've seen and heard is true, imagine how Leopard will be in October. That's plenty of time to patch up the remaining bugs (such as ram-hogging in Safari, etc.) and refine the interface, and throw in some nice minor features. Now that the iPhone is out and in the wild, I expect the OS developers will now give Leopard the attention it deserves. Go apple! :D :apple:

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
I've been using the newest release of Leopard for a while now and I though I'd give everyone a review of what I think of it so far.

Pros:
(SNIP)
-Processor menu in System Preferences so you can turn off a processor core, don't know if it saves battery life though
-Downloads aren't automatically sent to the desktop anymore

(SNIP)
-Mail, they moved the "get mail" button, but I'll get used to that as well

You've been able to chose to turn off a processor in 10.4 when you install the developer tools. It isn't something new to leopard. Makes me wonder why you would never have had developer tools installed on 10.4, but pay a fortune for 10.5.
You could always change the default download location. Its the first thing I do when I get a new Mac. But I suppose having it automatically when you start up your mac will save a bit of time.

You can re-arrange the Mail toolbar to put Get Mail back where you want it. (right-click, customize toolbar, drag and drop) Oddly enough though, the new get mail button is where I always move mine to anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.