OS X Lion and Apps removing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by johnywalker1989, Sep 29, 2011.

1. johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

Hi to everyone. Two questions.

1) All the apps downloaded from Mac App Store have the little (x) button that removes them from the system. I have downloaded and TrashMe from Mac App Store to remove other non Mac App Store apps but i putted an app downloaded from MAS to TrashMe and delete some files. Then i installed again the app i deleted it with the (x) button and some files TrashMe deleted, exist when i removed the app with (x) button which is means that if you delete the apps from launchpad there will be leftovers right? This is unacceptable.

2)When i delete an app like apple saying by moved it to trash surely there will be leftovers right? Why apple telling us to delete with this way apps when knows that in a period of time our Mac will have many leftovers there?

2. Chazn, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

Chazn macrumors regular

2) are you talking about leftover application plists etc?
    That's a good question.
    -Edit-
    I just tried deleting one of my apps on Launchpad with the wiggly icons method. Then I searched on spotlight for any leftovers of that app on my computer, and indeed the plists and other trash from the application are still there.

The most effective way to delete applications is to type the name of the application into Spotlight search to let it search all in Finder. Set search to "All My Files" then click the + sign on the right edge of the window. It will bring up "Kind" is "Any". Set these two to "System Files" "are included". After that manually delete all the files that are named after your targeted application.
    Hope this helps. I found this method from someone here on Macrumors a long time ago. Forgot his name

3. johnywalker1989 thread starter macrumors regular

why apple did it that way? i cannot understand :s