OS X Lion and MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheAppleGeek, Mar 29, 2011.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

I graduate this May, and as a generous gift, my parents are teasing me about getting a MacBook Pro. I'm aware OS X Lion is set to release sometime this summer, and from what I have seen thus far, I am really liking what I see. Would it be best to tell my parents to wait until its release date to purchase the MacBook or would I be better off purchasing the OS when it releases?

2. patorioto macrumors member

You'll save some money on the upgrade, that's about the only reason to hold off. If you don't really need it now then I guess wait? If you really need it now then holding off simply for the os x upgrade is a little much.

3. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I don't need it immediately. I guess my assumptions were correct.

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

But remember that if you wait you won't get the student discount anymore. The student discount that you can get now will offset the price of Lion and you will get to enjoy your computer today not whenever Lion is released.

5. dusk007, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I also wouldn't expect Lion to be all that expensive. Probably not as cheap as Snow Leopard but still there is little new stuff that is really worth much money, thus they cannot ask crazy prices. Most of the stuff I saw is either worse or useless in the current MBP. You'd need a not yet released MBP convertible or some touch MB to benefit from most of the changes.

6. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

If you're worried about student pricing - sometimes Apple does give a free voucher to the next OS X if you buy the laptop within 30 days of its release or something - if I remember correctly.