OS X Lion automatically opens finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pyromaniacjas, Jul 22, 2011.

1. pyromaniacjas macrumors newbie

So I'm new to posting here and new to apple computers (this is my first one!). I used snow leopard for about a month and was comfortable with it so I do know what I'm doing for the most part. Yesterday I upgraded to Lion and I like it so far but there is one small thing annoying me. When I go to my log in screen, log in, and go to my desktop upon initial startup, a finder window automatically comes up titled "MacOS" with a bunch of files showing. How can I change this so this window does not keep opening every time I start my computer up. The finder is not open when I shut down and I even choose the option to not reopen windows when logging back in.

Thanks for the help.

2. The Beatles macrumors regular

Go to system preferences and then Users and Groups. Select your user account and you'll see two tabs towards to top on the left, "Password" and "Login Items". See which Login Items are selected. This might have something to do with it. But i've never seen a finder login item in this window. But its a start.

Welcome to the Mac.

3. pyromaniacjas thread starter macrumors newbie

That seems to have fixed it. The window no longer opens.

Thank you for your help!

4. AnsonX10, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

AnsonX10 macrumors member

That's weird. The same thing happens to me. A MacOS folder window opens every time I start up, regardless whether "reopen windows" is checked or not. Only it is the MacOS folder for Steam. I am now checking the login items...

And THIS was there. *attachment* That would explain why it kept happening, since Steam was the one and only login item I had when I upgraded to Lion.

I've replaced it with the Steam application (deleted and re-added it), and it appears normally now, with the correct icon and the label "application".

Interesting. I will restart and such and if it goes back to a folder, I'll let you know here.

EDIT: With one restart, it's still opening the application correctly, no windows. I'm having seconds thoughts as to whether Steam actually was a startup item when I upgraded to Lion. Because I don't recall the window opening until a few days/startups ago. But then again, I would have just closed it thinking that I had the Steam contents opened behind another window when I shut down last time, thanks to Resume, and thought nothing of it.

Attached Files: