OS X Lion "Backup" Category

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by psnARMEDps3, Aug 19, 2011.

1. psnARMEDps3 macrumors newbie

psnARMEDps3

Hello,

Today I was trying to clear out space on my MacBook Pro's hard drive. I found out (via Dick Inventory X) that a LARGE chunk of my space was going towards 30 iTunes backups (for iDevices). So I went into iTunes and removed most of them. I restarted my computer many times and the backup space is still shown as taken. Is there a way to make sure your mac "rescans" your hard drive to let it know there is more space? Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

did you erase your trash? also, the space might be going to that mobile backups feature in lion. it takes up a lot of space. you can disable it by a terminal command. it was on a thread here a couple of days ago.

3. psnARMEDps3 thread starter macrumors newbie

psnARMEDps3

Thanks for the fast reply! I have looked into that new feature! Tomorrow I will see if connected my Mac to my external hard drive will 'transfer' the mobile time machine. Ill reply it it doesn't work/ or works.

4. gnozh macrumors newbie

gnozh

That backup refers to a new feature called mobile time machine backup. You just can't erase it.

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

For me even though my laptop is always connected to my Time Capsule, it still makes local backups so connecting to your Time Machine hard disk might decrease the amount of space taken up by "backups" but it won't go to zero

6. psnARMEDps3 thread starter macrumors newbie

psnARMEDps3

Yes I know, but It will bring it down a lot until i connect it again.

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

It is the local snapshots and you can erase it by disabling it.

Code:
    sudo tmutil disablelocal