Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdyornot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
I'd like to make a bootable USB drive with some disk utilities and such - but the only thing that comes up when I search is how to create a bootable install disk - which is not what I want, I'd like to use some 3rd party utilities, not just apple's.

I'd also like to keep the system as compact as possible. Can anyone help me out with the minimum resources needed to make a bootable system for Lion? (i also have snow leopard and can use that in a pinch).

Thanks!

iWind130290

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2011
Ha Noi, Viet Nam
I'd like to make a bootable USB drive with some disk utilities and such - but the only thing that comes up when I search is how to create a bootable install disk - which is not what I want, I'd like to use some 3rd party utilities, not just apple's.

I'd also like to keep the system as compact as possible. Can anyone help me out with the minimum resources needed to make a bootable system for Lion? (i also have snow leopard and can use that in a pinch).

Thanks!

You can use Recovery Assistant to create a bootable USB with Recovery of Lion just like the RecoveryHD in internal HD. It is a base system and only need a minimum 1GB USB.

rdyornot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
You can use Recovery Assistant to create a bootable USB with Recovery of Lion just like the RecoveryHD in internal HD. It is a base system and only need a minimum 1GB USB.

Thanks for the answer :) but this isn't what I want, to clarify - I want to install a mini system folder on a usb drive, that will boot and let me run my own programs.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
nothing really special required, just make sure the usb drive is big enough to hold the full installation. 16gb+ should be fine. make sure your usb media is attached, launch the lion installer, then make sure you select the usb media as the installation directory.

rdyornot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Yeah, I guess thats what I'll do. I bought the wrong size thumb drives and I was hoping I could shrink the system down to something nice and tidy that would fit on them :) I can go buy bigger ones, but now the idea of a minimal system intrigues me, I'll have to do some more research.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.