OS X Lion cpu temps and graphic switching MBP

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by vladpro, Jul 20, 2011.

1. vladpro macrumors newbie

Hey guys I have just upgraded to lion and see a couple problems and am wondering how everyone's macs are treating them

So far my mac runs a lot hotter. I have a MBP 15 high res i7 and seem to be almost always on the ATI card on lion with just browsing or in the Mail app.

I am idling around 50 when I used to idle at 35 just browsing. It worries me a little

Any input?

Thanks,
    Vlad

2. mr1 macrumors member

I've noticed it running a bit hotter. And a little buggy.

3. ranjitb macrumors member

I too noticed that my MBA 2010 model 13" base version is now running a lot hotter on Lion used to be around 50 C mark in Snow Leopard but now in Lion it is around 62 - 65 C idle.......... it never used to run this hot!

Needless to say even the battery meter is showing a lot less juice, anyone experiencing the same.

4. vladpro thread starter macrumors newbie

I am having the same exact problems. Battery is definitely seeming a lot less juicier and temperatures are up I am debating rolling back down now to snow leopard. I am astonished at how the temperatures has increased so much and the graphic cards having problems switching between them

They should have never said when they are going to release lion because now they totally rushed it and its not anywhere near what it should be.

damn apple u let me down ;/

5. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

At first my MBP was running between 62-70C on Lion with the fans at 3000-4000 whereas it was between 44-50 and 2000-2500 on SL. I've been running it for a few hours now and it's gotten back to the temperatures of old. I'm wondering if the computer needs to get used to Lion running on it or something.

6. ranjitb macrumors member

It Looks like Spotlight is the culprit and its re-indexing everything hence the high temperatures and CPU usage....... click on the spotlight to see if its doing that.

Will report after any hour or so when spotlight is done indexing and I hope then the temperatures will go back to normal.

Cheers!

7. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

right! i forgot about that! yea, right now my temps are 70c but before i would idle at 45c.

if its still around 70c after indexing, I'm uninstalling this and waiting.

8. vladpro thread starter macrumors newbie

ya well for sure reason when i open firefox it runs on AMD card and when its not open it runs on just the interated card;/ really wierd

9. vladpro thread starter macrumors newbie

and safari just on integrated card? Why would firefox cause this to happen to happen?

10. ranjitb macrumors member

Just wanted to update the spotlight indexing on my 13" MBA is done it was touching 65 C earlier now after the indexing I rebooted the system..... the temp are now back its around 49 C and that was what I used to get around my SL.

Trying rebooting your system after the spotlight indexing and then test if it makes difference.

11. ls206 macrumors newbie

Running hot after indexing

My MBP is running very hot even just idling.
    battery life has halved and fan are constantly spinning at least double as fast as in SL to make up for the extra 10ºC

12. strubinstein macrumors member

So far every browser I have tried besides safari has had issues with the graphics card switching on my 2010 MBP. I always just get fed up with it and move back to Safari. Its really fast on Lion anyway so its not as much of a big deal.

13. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

Pretty much this. I have a 15" hi-res and it used to idle between 30-40 and now it's never below 40 and the fans are on quite a bit more often and the battery dies MUCH faster!

14. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Count me in on having the same problem. My 15" MBP (Mid 2007) is running quite a bit hotter too. My fans are constantly spinning at higher RPMs than compared to SL or Leopard.

I even loaded up activity monitor and tried to see if something was causing this, but nothing is really tapping the CPU or anything more than normal.

15. vladpro thread starter macrumors newbie

ya guys this update has a lot of cool things but it worries me how much we have to give for it. has anyone found any solutions;/ i like how lion acts but im debating just going back to snow leopard. I wonder if apple knows what is happening. Its just really different.
    Has anyone tried to reset smc see if that does anything?

16. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

Apparently 10.7.2 (dunno when .1 went out) was sent to dev's (10.7.2 is required for iCloud) and early reports are showing that the memory management has been improved. So it seems like we'll just have to wait for some updates.