OS X Lion Feature Compatability Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LalaMan1, Jan 18, 2012.

1. LalaMan1 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I got a question about the compatability of features with an older MacBook Pro. My computer is a 2006-2007 MacBook Pro (2.16 Ghz Dual Core Intel Processor, 2 GB of Ram) running OS X Snow Leopard.

My question is, will the features such as Launch Pad, Multi-Touch, the finger swap to the dashboard like page on the left, and full screen apps work on my computer and how would they work. If they dont work, I'd rather just stay with my Snow Leopard instead of blowing 30 bucks on a useless program.

Also, will be customizations (spaces inbetween icons on dock, developer mode, etc) carry over also? And will my flash carry over also?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

If you have a Core Duo CPU, Lion will not install, as it needs a 64-bit CPU like the Core 2 Duo.
    And if it is a Core 2 Duo Mac, the multi touch gestures will not be there, as only the 2008 models introduced multi touch, thus it is a hardware limitation.

I don't know, what you mean with "And will my flash carry over also?".

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Like the person above me said, Lion won't even install on your computer since it's only a Core Duo... The minimum Lion will install is a Core 2 Duo. Lion is very buggy anyway.. I'd stay with SL. And if you mean the software Flash, then yes it would carry over.

4. LalaMan1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a Intel Core 2 Duo btw....so it'll work, forgot to say that in the OP

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

They'll all work, but in order to get multi touch gestures (Like swipe to dashboard and whatnot) Will require either a Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse, as your MacBook Pro does not have a multitouch trackpad built in.

6. Animalk macrumors 6502

As the poster above me has stated, to benefit from the multi-touch features of the newer glass trackpad models you will have to purchase a Magic Trackpad.

The trackpad built into your machine simply does not support it and never will.

I have the same machine as you and its running Lion beautifully. The only difference is that I have 4GB of RAM in mine (OS X can only use 3.3GB for reasons I won't go into).

When I first installed Lion things were slow but now its liquid smooth and fast.

I have both a magic mouse and magic trackpad and both work perfectly with my machine.

good luck.

7. LalaMan1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to necro this but is there a non trackpad way to activate/use LaunchPad and mission control?

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Keyboard shortcuts?

9. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Both were in my dock but I am a newb and don't know how they got there.

10. simsaladimbamba