OS X Lion install gone wrong

Cip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Hi!

I wanted to do a clean install of Lion and, after installing it over Snow leopard, I entered Recovery Mode and erased my bootable partition.

Just after that, when the system asked me for my apple ID, I realized that I don't have a valid one.

So, right now I am writing from my iPhone, my macbook is in recovery mode and I don't have an easy solution for this.

I have the os x intall app in a secondary hdd and an usb stick with the install disk on it but non bootable (fat formated).

I tried disk utility but it doesn't let me mount the InstallESD without finder.

Also in terminal the OSInstall.mpkg is not working.

I have no other computer or bootable disk at reach and I don't want to wait until monday morning to resolve this.

Can anyone help me with any advice. I tried everything. Thank you!

Last edited:

Cip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
What Apple ID did you use to download Lion with?
I downloaded it from a torrent file, I just wanted to check it before I buy it.

I have a 2009 macbook and I just wanted to make sure that it doesn't make it even slower.

I also don't have the snow leopard boot disks with me :(

Comment

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Wait...you torrented it. :eek:

We're at a dead end here... well you could grab a copy of SL should be cheap now. :confused:

Comment

Cip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
:)

Sucks to be pirate&stupid.

There are ways to do it right.

I spent tons of money on apple until now, but with Lion I wasn't so sure.

Comment

Cip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Solve it!

I guess this forum needs less moralists and more technicians.

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Solve it!

I guess this forum needs less moralists and more technicians.
We can't "solve it" because you used a pirated version of Lion. And pirating is not allowed to be discussed on Macrumors.

Comment

funnyatleast

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
It has nothing to do with the download. None of the LION downloads need an Apple ID or whatver you are talking about. You just didn't read the .nfo.

Install Snow Leopard first and then Lion. You can't do a clean with just lion.

Comment

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
It has nothing to do with the download. None of the LION downloads need an Apple ID or whatver you are talking about. You just didn't read the .nfo.

Once you burned the installer to a disk you can boot from that and skip from installing SL.

Hugh

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

The Lion install wasn't asking for a password. It was asking for his Apple ID. You apparently didn't read the post thoroughly.

You can do a clean install of just Lion, it just isn't recommended.

Comment

funnyatleast

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
The Lion install wasn't asking for a password. It was asking for his Apple ID. You apparently didn't read the post thoroughly.

You can do a clean install of just Lion, it just isn't recommended.
I fixed it to Apple ID before you even commented, so that mean you didn't read it.

Basically I am not sure why it is asking for an Apple ID, may get another version, but I know mine didn't

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I fixed it to Apple ID before you even commented, so that mean you didn't read it.

Basically I am not sure why it is asking for an Apple ID, may get another version, but I know mine didn't
It said "password" when I clicked the quote button. Wasn't wrong when I read it.

When Lion reinstalls from the recovery partition, it asks for the user's Apple ID to verify that you have bought a copy of Lion. It then proceeds to download and reinstall Lion.

Comment