OS X Lion Mail massive problem

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Puevlo, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Got an iMac running 10.7.3. I was trying to write an email in Mail and I wanted some text underlined. So I opened up the little font drop down icon and click on the u which underlines the text. But I want to remove the underline so I highlight the text and click the u again... Nothing. Did not remove the underline at all. Tested with Bold and Italic; that all works. But underline is busted. How do I get this to work?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try Command-U? Did you try restarting Mail? Restarting your computer?

3. Puevlo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Command-U works, but clicking the button doesn't. I've restarted both Mail and my Mac.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try deleting the /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist file and relaunch Mail.

By the way, how is this in any way a "massive problem", especially if you still have the functionality via keyboard shortcut?

5. Puevlo thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try what I suggested?

7. Puevlo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried it in a new user, which renders that step unnecessary.

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Yes, I know I took these two quotes out of order, but I did it on purpose so I can make this statement clear -

If you have to delete a plist file to fix something, it's a bug.

I swear, deleting plists is not acceptable. It's becoming eerily similar (although much easier than) to re-installing Windows because the registry got corrupted.

/rant not specifically aimed at anyone

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's completely untrue. Do you even know what a plist file is? It has nothing to do with any bug in software.
    There's nothing "unacceptable" about it, and it's no where close to the Windows registry. You should learn how plists work and what they do before you "rant".

10. Bear macrumors G3

Actually if a .plist file is only updated by software and you have to delete the .plist file to clear up an issue, it sure sounds like a bug in software to me as well.

However, having to delete your mail prefs is rather harsh since it stores Mail account information as well.

11. dknightd macrumors 6502

Just tried it. Looks like a bug. command-U works as expected, hitting the U icon does not. I use plain text for email, so no problem for me. Hard to consider this a massive problem, but everybody uses their machine different and has a different idea of massive. I think apple has a site for reporting bugs - probably several - this one looks like it might be good for you

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

btw, I agree if the software makes a bad .plist I'd consider it a bug, but as near as I can tell this is not a plist bug, it is something else.