OS X Lion mail upgrade hang

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gramirez2012, Oct 12, 2011.

1. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to Lion for the first time today, and when I open the Mail app it says that the existing messages need to be upgraded before I can use Mail. So I click on that and it shows a progress bar, however it just hangs about 1/4th of the way through. I've done some googling and can't seem to find any info on the problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

BTW, I'm using a MobileMe/iCloud address.

2. Big Bad Dad macrumors newbie

Ditto - started the upgrade yesterday and now some 24 hours later still sitting there. I did close the lid on my MacBook Air and wound up force quitting. However, when I relaunched mail, it went right back to the same place about 25% along. Any progress on your end?

3. Espen macrumors newbie

Experienced the same problem. Called Apple support and we first tried to remove the com.apple.mail.plist file in the library/preferences folder(after Force Quit Mail). That didn't work.
    The next approach was to make an archive reinstall of the OS (Cmd - R at startup). When the reinstall was finished all looked the same and I started Mail again and got the Welcome window. I was fearful that I would face the same problem, but to my great relief the upgrade worked. Took only seconds and Mail was up and running:)

It can be that because, in the previous version, I had a POP account in addition to my me.com account, the problem occurred. POP is not supported with iCloud.
    Remove any POP account before upgrading to Lion and iCloud;)