OS X Lion Routine Maintenance

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bbdd005, Oct 2, 2011.

1. bbdd005 macrumors newbie

I'm new to OS X Lion and just wondering what some of you guys are doing to keep Lion running fast?

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Routine maintenance is not something that a user has to perform on a Mac. Leave your computer alone and it will take care of itself.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

As MisterMe said, you don't need to worry about maintenance on a mac. OS X runs maintence once every day, once every week and once every month.

If you want to do some cleaning and maybe some tweaking however, Onyx is a very good app.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X maintains itself. There's nothing you need to do to keep your Mac running well. Just use it and enjoy it.

5. bbdd005 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

• iDefrag every few months if you have a spinning HD and create/delete a lot of files.
    • Repair Disk Permissions when there is a OS point release (ie. 10.7.1, 10.7.2, ect.)
    • And make sure the log folders don't get too large (OS X will normally keep the log files in check, but I've seen some users on this forum with 20+ GB worth of logs :rolleyes:)

Other than that OS X will maintain itself.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

defrag is not needed and apple actually has a KB article stating that it can degrade performance.

No need to repair disk permissions any more. That was the case when osx was at the 10.1 level. now its more myth. There are times when it could be helpful but at this stage its not needed.

Log folders get archived by OSX's automated maintenance scripts.

This MacWorld article sums it up nicely on those points

8. STEALTH714 macrumors newbie

If you want to do some cleaning and maybe some tweaking however, Onyx is a very good app.

I had Onyx with Snow Leopard but have not seen a Lion version.

EDIT: Oops, looks like the Lion version is out.

9. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

If you're one of those who keeps files on the desktop, cleaning up the clutter every month or so will make your Mac boot faster.
    Even in Lion, it still takes a noticeable time to load and display a big bunch of icons.

10. Quad5Ny, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

I only suggested iDefrag if you create and delete lots of files. And running it is not to defragment the files but to consolidate them and move the files back to the start of the disk platter (which is faster/has lower latency). Also iDefrag is aware of most of the tricks OS X uses to speed up disk access (Hot-Band, Metafile zone, ect.) and under normal circumstances will not decrease performance.

The permissions repair while not absolutely necessary, is more of a matinence thing to make sure installed updates match permissions listed in the package receipts. Remember ACL's exist mostly for security (protecting important files/folders) and having them set wrong can break this security model.

As for logs, I've personally never had OS X mis-manage the logs folder but I have seen at least 2 users with huge /private/var/log/ folders which is why I suggested keeping a eye on them. (Apple is not always smart about what they do. One of the updates on my 10.6.8 machine deleted my /System/Library/StartupItems/ folder)

11. lotones macrumors regular

I've installed Lion twice on two different iMacs, and both times Lion was buggy and glitchy until I repaired disk permissions. The other day I was having random bluetooth issues and repairing permissions fixed that too.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I didn't say it should never be run, but generally speaking its not necessary. By the same token, I've not repaired permissions in a couple of years and my machine is working as it was the first day - and I'm running Lion

13. lotones macrumors regular

Wow... "a couple of years"? That's interesting. I'd have run it just out of curiousity since then. Unless I had low level tweaks I didn't want to mess up.

14. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Onyx will delete those logs.

15. Lipplog macrumors newbie

Actually, doing a Permission Repair just saved my butt!!!

I use my Apple Notes App for work... the Notes App on my iPhone 4S (6.0.1), the Notes App on my first gen iPad (5.1.1), the Notes App on my 2007 Macbook Pro (10.8.2), and the Notes App on my 2010 Macbook Air (10.8.2). Each one linked and wirelessly synced through my iCloud account.

But for the last 7 days, the Notes App on my Macbook Air has been failing. It opens with an outdated Note, tries to Update and Sync, and crashes. If I don't Force Quit and report to Apple, the spinning wheel will go on forever.

After a week of force quits and countless reports, I finally did what I was told was no longer necessary, and Repaired Disk Permissions on my Macbook Air.

And that was it. When I opened the Notes App, it updated and synced so fast it seemed instantaneous.

Smarter people than I may say Permission Repair is no longer necessary, but I just had first-hand experience to the contrary.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

This is the most fundamental of logical fallacies.

That said, I am happy that your Notes app is working properly once again.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are appropriate times to repair permissions. It just doesn't need to be done as routine maintenance. Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.