OS X Lion slowing down MacBook.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by graceso, Aug 7, 2011.

1. graceso macrumors newbie

I downloaded OS X Lion to my MacBook (2010) four or five days ago and ever since then, everything has slowed down. I almost always have to force quit applications, scrolling is slow, and just simple things like switching tabs on safari take more than a minute. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

2. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

3. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

yeesh. perhaps re-installing Lion would help...

4. graceso thread starter macrumors newbie

5. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

How much RAM you Macbook have? 4GB is the new minimum recommended.

6. tom5304 macrumors regular

A clean install of Lion did not help my machine.

Going back to Snow Leopard did.

7. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

8. ThePimento macrumors member

ThePimento

The thing that was slowing down my MacBook in Lion was Safari. There's a memory leak and the amount of RAM Safari was using would creep up the longer I had it open. It even reached 1.3GB of RAM at one point and I only had 3 tabs open!

I switched to the WebKit nightly builds, but it had the same issue too, until this most recent build (which I haven't seen the amount of RAM gobbling that I have in the past). Also, Firefox 6 Beta is freakin' fast in Lion with no memory leak issues

9. Waffl3s macrumors newbie

You think 1.3GBs is bad, try 5.71GBs with 2 tabs on bestbuy's website. It actually reached over 6GBs before I forced quit the program. Haha

Attached Files:

10. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I've had the same problem with my 2GB Mac mini. Everything in general is slower than with SL.

11. johnnyham macrumors regular

I never thought I'd see the day when Safari's memory leaks surpassed those of Firefox. I feel like the new Safari has taken a lot of cues from Mobile Safari, I've had that suck down over 100 MB on my iPhone 4 with just a few tabs open. Lion's Safari also seems to want to refresh non-focused tabs automatically, probably where a lot of that memory is going.

I'll definitely be looking into the Firefox beta until Apple releases a Safari update. Thanks for the tip!