OS X Lion slows down my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Henry Li, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Henry Li, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Henry Li macrumors member

My 13' macbook pro (mid 09) has been fine with snow leopard... However, after I upgraded to OS X Lion, lion started to suck the battery of my macbook quickly, generate a lot of heat, increase fan speed, and most importantly slow down my macbook pro, although it was used for normal internet browsing.

I'm so disappointed with Lion. If this situation lasts, I will downgrade my macbook back to snow leopard.:mad::mad::mad:

Latest Update:

My macbook is back to normal. The initial dropped performance is possibly due to spotlight indexing that causes me panic, as others mentioned ><. All new Lion users, this is normal. No worry.

But, I feel the startup and the login is slower than before.

2. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

It's because of spotlight indexing, apparently. Give it an hour or two, and the temperature should return to normal, as should everything else.

3. Henry Li thread starter macrumors member

Thanks:( I really hope Lion won't be that bad! I'll keep track on the progress of my macbook pro which was slowed down by Lion, and later report my newest situation.

4. Branskins macrumors 65816

I have the same computer and have not experienced any of these problems. I also have 8 GB of RAM so I don't know how much it changes the situation, but Lion has been very nice to me so far! I would not consider it OS X Vista -_-

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah same thing happened with my Early 2008 17" MBP. Everything was hanging.... Safari, Software update, etc. Wouldn't load pages, download iTunes, etc while spotlight was indexing. Left it alone while it was indexing and came back to a normal running machine.

Just let it finish the indexing and you should be good.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Relax, it's a whole new OS. Spotlight is likely indexing, give it some time.

7. UKBeast macrumors 6502

tell us about how it changes after a few hours, cuz i have a 2010 mbd with ssd and i am still worrying about having an os x vista.

8. Henry Li thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks for sharing your story with me. I feel a lot better!:)

9. jsilas macrumors regular

10. Deako macrumors 6502

As above, mine is blistering now its finished indexing.

11. Henry Li thread starter macrumors member

That's why... Your computer has lots of RAM, then performance shouldn't be a big problem.:eek:

12. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

13. Henry Li thread starter macrumors member

No worry! The situation has been improved, possibly because the initial dropped performance is due to indexing. Now my macbook is back to normal, but the login is still a bit slow in my case.

14. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Yeah, my iMac ran a little hotter when the spotlight indexing was happening. Once it finished the machine temps settled back to reasonable levels.

15. Adam- macrumors member

Clean install

Hi, i have an early 09 MBP with 4GIG ram and 2.53 duo, i've heard people talking about clean installs give a faster computer. Should i do that? i use timemachine? Or should i upgrade to 8gig ram? will this void apple care? i am confused!!! Also lion says 2days 11hours!! slowwwww

16. Henry Li thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it's necessary to upgrade the RAM to 8GB, although upgrading RAM doesn't void Apple Warranty. Mine is 2.26Ghz duo core with 4GB Ram, but still works fine with Lion.

But, I'm not sure whether clean install would give faster performance, but so far my macbook runs fine with Lion after the upgrade from snow leopard.

17. Branskins macrumors 65816

I went back and forth deciding between a RAM upgrade and a SSD upgrade and I am really glad I chose the RAM! Going from 2 to 8 was just amazing!

18. nanotlj macrumors regular

some people just need a habit to learn basic stuff

some people just need a habit to learn basic stuff. It is normal that OS X needs a while running and/or a couple of rebooting to gain its optimized performance.
    That is all the "cache" doing the work. After that the start/login should be much faster.
    Do some research first before jumping to "conclusion"!

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

To be fair, indexing did slow my machine with Lion more than when I installed Snow Leopard on it.

I don't necessarily blame people for panicking at first. It had me worried.

20. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

My late 2008 MBP is considerably speedier. But, it definitely lagged a little while Spotlight was updating.

21. alew, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

alew macrumors newbie

I did an upgrade on my 13" MBP Core i5 (2011). I find that start up can take up to 20 or more seconds. Is this normal? It seems a lot faster before I upgraded to Lion...and I've been done with indexing.

22. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

Just wait til you upgrade to an SSD ... Guarantee you will say it was the best upgrade you ever did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey