OS X Lion slows down my MacBook Pro

Henry Li

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
My 13' macbook pro (mid 09) has been fine with snow leopard... However, after I upgraded to OS X Lion, lion started to suck the battery of my macbook quickly, generate a lot of heat, increase fan speed, and most importantly slow down my macbook pro, although it was used for normal internet browsing.

I'm so disappointed with Lion. If this situation lasts, I will downgrade my macbook back to snow leopard.:mad::mad::mad:

Latest Update:

My macbook is back to normal. The initial dropped performance is possibly due to spotlight indexing that causes me panic, as others mentioned ><. All new Lion users, this is normal. No worry.

But, I feel the startup and the login is slower than before.

Last edited:

Henry Li

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
It's because of spotlight indexing, apparently. Give it an hour or two, and the temperature should return to normal, as should everything else.
Thanks:( I really hope Lion won't be that bad! I'll keep track on the progress of my macbook pro which was slowed down by Lion, and later report my newest situation.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
My 13' macbook pro (mid 09) has been fine with snow leopard... However, after I upgraded to OS X Lion, lion started to suck the battery of my macbook quickly, generate a lot of heat, increase fan speed, and most importantly slow down my macbook pro, although it was used for normal internet browsing.

I'm so disappointed with Lion. If this situation lasts, I will downgrade my macbook back to snow leopard.:mad::mad::mad:

OS X Lion = OS X Vista!!!

I do not highly recommend this stupid thing - Lion!:mad::mad::mad:
I have the same computer and have not experienced any of these problems. I also have 8 GB of RAM so I don't know how much it changes the situation, but Lion has been very nice to me so far! I would not consider it OS X Vista -_-

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Yeah same thing happened with my Early 2008 17" MBP. Everything was hanging.... Safari, Software update, etc. Wouldn't load pages, download iTunes, etc while spotlight was indexing. Left it alone while it was indexing and came back to a normal running machine.

Just let it finish the indexing and you should be good.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
tell us about how it changes after a few hours, cuz i have a 2010 mbd with ssd and i am still worrying about having an os x vista.

Henry Li

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Yeah same thing happened with my Early 2008 17" MBP. Everything was hanging.... Safari, Software update, etc. Wouldn't load pages, download iTunes, etc while spotlight was indexing. Left it alone while it was indexing and came back to a normal running machine.

Just let it finish the indexing and you should be good.
Okay, thanks for sharing your story with me. I feel a lot better!:)

Henry Li

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
I have the same computer and have not experienced any of these problems. I also have 8 GB of RAM so I don't know how much it changes the situation, but Lion has been very nice to me so far! I would not consider it OS X Vista -_-
That's why... Your computer has lots of RAM, then performance shouldn't be a big problem.:eek:

Henry Li

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
tell us about how it changes after a few hours, cuz i have a 2010 mbd with ssd and i am still worrying about having an os x vista.
No worry! The situation has been improved, possibly because the initial dropped performance is due to indexing. Now my macbook is back to normal, but the login is still a bit slow in my case.

basher

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
Yeah, my iMac ran a little hotter when the spotlight indexing was happening. Once it finished the machine temps settled back to reasonable levels.

Adam-

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Clean install

Hi, i have an early 09 MBP with 4GIG ram and 2.53 duo, i've heard people talking about clean installs give a faster computer. Should i do that? i use timemachine? Or should i upgrade to 8gig ram? will this void apple care? i am confused!!! Also lion says 2days 11hours!! slowwwww

Henry Li

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Hi, i have an early 09 MBP with 4GIG ram and 2.53 duo, i've heard people talking about clean installs give a faster computer. Should i do that? i use timemachine? Or should i upgrade to 8gig ram? will this void apple care? i am confused!!! Also lion says 2days 11hours!! slowwwww
I don't think it's necessary to upgrade the RAM to 8GB, although upgrading RAM doesn't void Apple Warranty. Mine is 2.26Ghz duo core with 4GB Ram, but still works fine with Lion.

But, I'm not sure whether clean install would give faster performance, but so far my macbook runs fine with Lion after the upgrade from snow leopard.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
That's why... Your computer has lots of RAM, then performance shouldn't be a big problem.:eek:
I went back and forth deciding between a RAM upgrade and a SSD upgrade and I am really glad I chose the RAM! Going from 2 to 8 was just amazing!

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
some people just need a habit to learn basic stuff

some people just need a habit to learn basic stuff. It is normal that OS X needs a while running and/or a couple of rebooting to gain its optimized performance.
That is all the "cache" doing the work. After that the start/login should be much faster.
Do some research first before jumping to "conclusion"!

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
some people just need a habit to learn basic stuff. It is normal that OS X needs a while running and/or a couple of rebooting to gain its optimized performance.
That is all the "cache" doing the work. After that the start/login should be much faster.
Do some research first before jumping to "conclusion"!
To be fair, indexing did slow my machine with Lion more than when I installed Snow Leopard on it.

I don't necessarily blame people for panicking at first. It had me worried.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
My late 2008 MBP is considerably speedier. But, it definitely lagged a little while Spotlight was updating.

alew

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
New York, USA
I did an upgrade on my 13" MBP Core i5 (2011). I find that start up can take up to 20 or more seconds. Is this normal? It seems a lot faster before I upgraded to Lion...and I've been done with indexing.

Last edited:

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2009
I went back and forth deciding between a RAM upgrade and a SSD upgrade and I am really glad I chose the RAM! Going from 2 to 8 was just amazing!
Just wait til you upgrade to an SSD ... Guarantee you will say it was the best upgrade you ever did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk