Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Would updating to Mavericks help speed up my MBP 13, 2011? It shipped with OS X Lion and I've stuck with it. It was lightning fast compared to W/Vista, but since so many people have been saying that Lion is awful etc, would it be worth upgrading? Would it cause any further slowdowns/beachballs? I only have 4GB RAM right now.

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
According to your signature, your MBP has an HDD, so replacing that with an SSD will help with app launching, and probably spare you from some beach balls. Aside from that, what do you normally do, anything hogging ram?

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
According to your signature, your MBP has an HDD, so replacing that with an SSD will help with app launching, and probably spare you from some beach balls. Aside from that, what do you normally do, anything hogging ram?

Nothing really hogging RAM, and this is mostly for schoolwork use. usually, just Chrome (about 6-7 tabs, maybe a single youtube, 2-3 MR, some cloud sharing service, and maybe reddit), msWord, Powerpoint, other msOffice apps, iTunes, and occasionally some light gaming. I've been trying to use school computers (iMac) for anything really requiring more power.

Usually, I have about 50-200 mb of RAM free, up to about 400MB if I'm not really doing anything.

A 128 SSD + 8 RAM is something I've been trying to put into my MacBook, just trying to weigh the costs of continuing to deal with the crappy HD3000 and continuing to live with this, vs. getting a new rMBP.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If you get a new Mac, get your ed discount. Another alternative is a refurbed one with the same warranty for hundreds less.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'm telling ya, the 2013 rMBP is just amazing. The iris destroys the HD3000 as well.

imo its well worth upgrading to the rMBP if you are gonna upgrade your computer anyway.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Would updating to Mavericks help speed up my MBP 13, 2011? It shipped with OS X Lion and I've stuck with it. It was lightning fast compared to W/Vista, but since so many people have been saying that Lion is awful etc, would it be worth upgrading? Would it cause any further slowdowns/beachballs? I only have 4GB RAM right now.

Yes... Mavericks has much better memory management and will benefit you.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Usually, I have about 50-200 mb of RAM free, up to about 400MB if I'm not really doing anything.

A 128 SSD + 8 RAM is something I've been trying to put into my MacBook, just trying to weigh the costs of continuing to deal with the crappy HD3000 and continuing to live with this, vs. getting a new rMBP.

Run activity monitor and check your page outs after running for a few hours at your normal tasks. That will give you a good idea of how much memory you need.

A SSD is hands down the best upgrade I've ever made to a computer. It took my MBP from one I was thinking about upgrading to one I have no plans to change anytime soon. You should consider a 240gb drive, not the 120. Price isn't that much more and there are benefits to the larger size beyond more space.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Nothing really hogging RAM, and this is mostly for schoolwork use. usually, just Chrome (about 6-7 tabs, maybe a single youtube, 2-3 MR, some cloud sharing service, and maybe reddit), msWord, Powerpoint, other msOffice apps, iTunes, and occasionally some light gaming. I've been trying to use school computers (iMac) for anything really requiring more power.

Mavericks' new memory management system will definitely help your performance with just 4 GB. That being said, dropping in new parts like an SSD and more RAM will definitely help. 2011 MacBook Pros can go to 16 GB.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2010
I'm telling ya, the 2013 rMBP is just amazing. The iris destroys the HD3000 as well.

imo its well worth upgrading to the rMBP if you are gonna upgrade your computer anyway.

I would tone down the hyperbole. Your 2013 is an excellent machine but the performance gains over a 2011 are not worth the upgrade. Both computers have dual core processors and, while the Iris is better, you are not going to play graphically demanding games on high settings or do 3D intensive work on one machine and not the other.

The biggest draw and reason for upgrading from the '11 to '13 is the Retina display. For me, the only truly compelling reason to upgrade.

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
I'm running a late 2011 13 inch MPB.
The upgrade from Lion -> Mountain Lion -> Mavericks has been good for me.

The memory compression in Mavericks seems to help defer the point where paging has a noticeable impact on performance. I'm not missing Lion and Mountain Lion.

However I'm also running an SSD and that is probably the biggest difference you can make to the older cMPB.

If were you I'd try Mavericks as it's costs you nothing.
Then I'd look at getting an SSD.

For heavy usage, photo editing, video editing, virtual machines... upgrade RAM, but first try Mavericks, then SSD.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I would tone down the hyperbole. Your 2013 is an excellent machine but the performance gains over a 2011 are not worth the upgrade. Both computers have dual core processors and, while the Iris is better, you are not going to play graphically demanding games on high settings or do 3D intensive work on one machine and not the other.

The biggest draw and reason for upgrading from the '11 to '13 is the Retina display. For me, the only truly compelling reason to upgrade.

Well for me I play mine craft, DOTA 2 and a few other games.

Minecraft ran at 30fps on my 2011 13" MBP with max settings for everything, my new laptop gets it around 70fps-100 and 90fps average on max settings with MineCraft. That is significant. That SSD is amazing for booting up and launching apps, the portability has increased so much and the retina display, while yes is a marketing moniker, has helped with way less eyestrain.

I did exaggerate a bit but my point still stands.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2010

Minecraft ran at 30fps on my 2011 13" MBP with max settings for everything, my new laptop gets it around 70fps-100 and 90fps average on max settings with MineCraft. That is significant. That SSD is amazing for booting up and launching apps, the portability has increased so much and the retina display, while yes is a marketing moniker, has helped with way less eyestrain.

Well maybe I'm wrong. I just see it as two dual-core i5s, both with integrated graphics. Maybe the Iris is significantly faster than the HD3000 for some applications.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Well maybe I'm wrong. I just see it as two dual-core i5s, both with integrated graphics. Maybe the Iris is significantly faster than the HD3000 for some applications.

Ummmm dual core i5's mean nothing. There can be significant performance jumps between the two a d trust me, iris destroys the HD 3000.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Alright, it's settled...I'm getting Mavericks first. Then waiting for Broadwell/2014 MacBooks. I've tried iris at Apple stores...knocks my MBP out of the water, so I might get one with ed discount soon.

SSD is a must. Crucial vs. Samsung 840?

----------

With MC, you might want to try using Optifine. It serves as essentially a fps booster. On max graphics (12 render distance) I'm getting about 60fps vanilla and maybe 40 on bukkit.

----------

Get a 2013 MacBook Air 13" you will be happy. :apple:

Not really...the battery life is worse than the rMBP and the resolution isn't retina. If I were upgrade, it would be to the rMBP.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Alright, it's settled...I'm getting Mavericks first. Then waiting for Broadwell/2014 MacBooks. I've tried iris at Apple stores...knocks my MBP out of the water, so I might get one with ed discount soon.

SSD is a must. Crucial vs. Samsung 840?

----------

With MC, you might want to try using Optifine. It serves as essentially a fps booster. On max graphics (12 render distance) I'm getting about 60fps vanilla and maybe 40 on bukkit.
I already use Optifine for zooming in and stuff:)

But when I use shaders mod I have to lower some settings and I still get a respectable 60FPS.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
I already use Optifine for zooming in and stuff:)

But when I use shaders mod I have to lower some settings and I still get a respectable 60FPS.

What shaders run with Mac? Other than Sildur's iirc, aren't there any actual shaders (SEUS, etc)

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Backup your drive, then install Mavericks and decide for yourself. If you don't like it restore back to Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.