OS X Lion - Will my mac get slow??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Thomas BW, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Thomas BW macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm a very glad owner of a macbook, its like my baby! But i cant stop thinking: Will my macbook get slow/slower if i update it to the mac OS X lion??
    Please help me, i really want these new awesome features in Lion, but not if my mac will get slow.

// Thomas

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

no, it won't. if anything it's supposed to run more smoothly.

3. Thomas BW thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though its a late 2009 model and a "normal" macbook with the latest software update?

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it'll be fine.

5. clactonlad macrumors member

I am going to go one better and say what about the early 2008 macbook? What would be the benefits of installing Lion on this, if indeed my model can handle it?

6. andyroochoo macrumors member

is this early 08 macbook a core2duo, if not it wont run lion as its listed as incompatible.!

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

My 2006 Core2Duo Macbook with 2gb is running the current beta of lion without any issues.

8. clactonlad macrumors member

Yeah it's the C2D model.

9. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Running DP4 with no significant slow downs on my older MacBook.

10. mariannukka macrumors newbie

Well I just installed Lion on my 24" iMac, and... My Mac is slower than ever. I can't explain it, but isn't it supposed to run smoother?

It's especially running slow on login.

11. andyroochoo macrumors member

It's different for everyone but yes, my MacBook runs like a dogs dinner. Thanks apple.

Is a clean install possible?

12. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

I just did one in fact, burned Lion to DVD, formatted drive, installed from the DVD. Wow... it literally is lightning fast now, especially web browsing with Safari, the page load times are extremely short compared to slow leopard. As another user described it... its like safari on steroids.

13. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

Runs Bette than leopard

14. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I installed Lion and it made mine run quicker, go for it!

15. mcdonap macrumors member

I installed Lion in my 2,1 mid 2007 MacBook, and it's running just fine!

16. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey guys,

Just installed Lion, and like a few people, I'm noticing that its very sluggish and not as responsive as Snow Leopard.

I basically stuck my Snow Leopard disk in, through Disk Utility I formatted my drive clean then continued on with the Snow Leopard install and updated to 10.6.8, straight after that installed Lion.

I did back up the .dmg installation file onto a DVD, should I stick this DVD in and perhaps perform another install bypassing Snow Leopard ?

17. andyroochoo macrumors member

I'm gonna do this, burned the disc this morning before I left for work, gonna install tonight and get back to you with the results. I think it will be fine so here's hoping.

I'm not ready to replace my late 08 MacBook just yet, there's plenty of life left in the old girl :)

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have an 08 black Macbook running perfectly on Lion. Make sure you use the download from the Mac store to upgrade your Mac. The DVD you burned won't work for the upgrade, only for installing on a blank HD.

19. andyroochoo, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

andyroochoo macrumors member

I have burned the installesd.dmg to a blank DVD, gonna boot from it and wipe my main partition.

I have it all backed up and can live without the MacBook for a few hours.

Thanks for heads up, and yes I downloaded it from the app store.

I even thought £79 for tiger was a reasonable price to pay. I think getting it by other means may be more hassle than it's worth.

Roll on 4.30 :)

20. kg2011, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

kg2011 macrumors newbie

LION is Rubbish! Slow Slow Slow

Despite what everybody here says, I had bought a new MAC (3 months) old with SnowLeopard - runs very nicely - very quick - running Chrome (due to Safari lack of support for many sites) and OFfice 2011 for MAC with Outlook with ran very nicely.
    Now with the LION upgrade, Chrome doesn't work - very slow to load pages if at all - just hangs with the rainbow spinning disc, and also Office 2011 is the same...my MBP is basically not usable now.
    I have for example spent 30-60 minutes this morning trying to get things started so I could work.
    I am very annoyed! this really is crap and wish i could roll back.
    I will go into the MAC store and listen to a story from the genius no doubt, but in the end i am stuck with using Safari which seems to work ok.
    I really don't get why everybody is raving about Lion - yes the new gestures are cool - however it is not usable. I have another 2 chaps at work who state the same.
    Are these forums MAC run?

21. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Maybe try doing a clean install.. I had similar problems on my first try with Lion but after a clean install it runs great. I agree that you shouldn't have to go through the hassle of erasing your HD and reinstalling Lion but it was worth it (at least for me) if you have a backup and everything you need to accomplish it.

22. dazzie454 macrumors newbie

Lion - very slow

I have recently upgraded to Lion and I am considering going back to Leopard. I am running an iMAC 24" Core 2 Duo 3.06 4GB RAM. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

23. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Reinstall from your original Snow Leopard disks.

24. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Can the people who are experiencing a slow lion do a pram reset 4 times in a row and see if it works?
    I don't know if it was taking out the 8gigs or the pram resets that made it faster, since my macbook is in repairs.

25. Mikecc macrumors newbie

Great but slow

Just installed lion on early 2008 MacBook Core duo 2 with 4 gig ram. Shows lots of promise. Installation took 30 mins and worked straight away. All apps and data were there, just the same as in snow leopard. However, ran software update. It took about ten minutes to tell me I needed the new version of iTunes. It then started downloading said iTunes. Estimated time 2 hours. Thought 'that can't be right' but almost an hour in, it's still saying 50 minutes remaining. Absolute madness. I've checked my broadband speed, I'm getting 32 meg!! This machine was lighting fast with SL. Quite concerned. I hope they sort this out. The only reason I got lion was so I can set up iCloud.