OS X Lion & Windows 7.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Noztra, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Noztra macrumors newbie

Hello Mac Rumors,

I have OS X Lion 10.7.3 installed on my 27'' iMac.

I plan on installing Windows 7 Ultimate on my iMac.
    I thougt a little, and i thought about ''What about the drivers?''

So i burned a OS X Lion Disc.

Can i use this disc as a driver installer?

Noztra

2. Sincci macrumors regular

No. You'll need to run the Bootcamp Assistant in OSX and let it download the drivers for you. After that, you'll just copy the driver folder to an usb stick or cd-r, let the bootcamp assistant create you the partition for Windows, start the installation and when it finishes, you'll just run the bootcamp installer from your usb stick/cd.

And please, next time you could use the search feature in this forum as this topic has been discussed about million times already.

3. Noztra thread starter macrumors newbie

When i launch bootcamp, i dont see the option to download drivers...

4. caskid macrumors newbie

When you launch Boot Camp Assistant and the Introduction screen shows, select 'Continue' and you should then see the 'Select Tasks' screen. Within this screen, there will be an option to 'Download the latest Windows Software Support from Apple'. Check the box and continue through the wizard. This will download the required drivers that you can then burn to disk.

5. chrisvee macrumors regular

Take a look at this tutorial - it's pretty thorough.

Your Boot Camp Assistant should provide you with the option to download the support drivers - in the form of a folder called WindowsSupport that contains all the goodies.

6. Noztra thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys! You're the best! Will go download now!

Will post later, and see if it worked ;)

7. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Just a word of advice too, I'd manually go out and download the drivers once you're up and running, the ones Apple uses tend to be laughably out of date.

8. chrisvee macrumors regular

This is true. However, I tried the newer Nvidia drivers, but that resulted in many blue screens. So, I just stick to Apples very outdated Windows drivers.

The odd thing is though - the new Nvidia drivers worked before I reformatted my hard drive. Oh well!

9. (L)SD macrumors newbie

"select task"

That "select task" made me think the driver download was optional, pick one or the other, but it's not. I was like,"well I want to install windows 7" not that other thing. D'oh! (mac newbie)