OS X Lion won't boot to safe mode

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by photonic, Nov 23, 2011.

1. photonic macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro will not boot to safe mode in OS X Lion : what happens is that the progress indicator remains stuck at about 25% indefinitely (that is, at least overnight).

I'm apparently not the only person with this problem (I suspect it may actually be fairly common, but most people have no reason to try to boot to safe mode).

Does anybody have any idea what I can do about this? Others with the same problem has attempted using disk Warrior to check the disc with no issues found.

(Incidentally the reason I need to do this is because office 2011 will not install correctly on my Mac. It installs, but auto-update does not work as it cannot find the installation. Microsoft technical support has taken me through multiple iterations of removing and installing the software, and eventually asked me to boot to safe mode to install which I could not do. (They, probably reasonably, suggest that there is probably something wrong with my OS X installation which may be causing both problems.)

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris