OS X Lion - Worth Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by dmw16, Oct 9, 2011.

1. dmw16 macrumors regular

My Mac Mini Server died last week and needs to full system reinstall (one of my two RAID-0 drives failed). Since I'm reinstalling OS X anyway I was thinking of moving to Lion Server.

I've read reports that some of the higher level functions have been limited, removed, broken, etc. But all I really do with the server is store files and run iTunes so that I can use Home Sharing with my Apple TV.

For basic functions is Lion Server easier to use?

Thanks.

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

"But all I really do with the server is store files and run iTunes so that I can use Home Sharing with my Apple TV."

You answered your own question perhaps? Why fix something that isn't broken... yet? Unless you like to tinker.

3. dimme macrumors 65816

I played with Lion server, it seemed lie a dumb down version of Snow Leopard server. I rin a machine that servers the same purpose, file sharing, itunes sharing and torrent downloads. I was running Snow Leopard server but when Lion came out I went to the the plane old desktop version of Lion.