OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by SdPunk, Jun 2, 2011.

1. SdPunk macrumors member

If and I say if, OS X Lion has the server integration in it; who is going to run their non-server mini as a server?

I figured I would turn my 2010 Mini into a server once the Mini refresh comes out. This will be really cool without having to dish out a lot of cash.

Any thoughts?:D

2. saulinpa macrumors 6502

A blurb on 9to5mac says that server will have to be bought from the App store. No price yet.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Most of the server functionality an individual might want is already in the "client" version. OS X server isn't easy to set up. I wouldn't recommend it, even if free, unless the added features are necessary or one wants it for the education.

4. Bear macrumors G3

This is very true. Many Macs have been used as web servers and mail hosts all from the non-server version of OS X.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OSX (10.6) already has the functionality to run server processes, you just need to configure them using the CLI. you can download various server components from the net and have a fully functioning server if you wish, right now.

6. SdPunk thread starter macrumors member

Hey all, thanks for the replies. Sorry, I haven't been able to make it back until now. Personally, I would like only these functions from the Server:

1.Remote access to files while I am out (using my iPad, iPhone, or MacBook Pro)
    2.Centralized location to keep files (we run two businesses from home)
    3.Ability to sync Mail and Calendars
    4.Host a Wiki to keep my employees up-to-date and exchange information

These are pretty much all I need it for and what I have read that Snow Leopard Server can do. I thought (correct me if I'm wrong) that the server version in Lion was supposed to be more user friendly or more so a "lite" server version?

Thanks for you input everyone.