OS X Mail Server for home use

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SlugBlanket, May 31, 2011.

1. SlugBlanket, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

SlugBlanket macrumors regular

At present I use several PC's at home and send/receive mail from each. My wife and children do like wise. A major headache is our inability to sync our ISP mail accounts across these machines. We don't/won't use mobile me, just our ISP mail accounts and hotmail. Bearing in mind OS X server is due to ship with Lion, is it possible to use mail server, and set up one of our (future) macs as a home mail server which would get and send the mail for us, allowing us to have mail synced across all the macs that we are due to buy ?

Any insight would be appreciated

Don't you just hate it when you search for a thread that might answer your question, you don't find one so you post your question, and then after you post you search again and find a relevant thread :(

Just found this discussion IMAP Server is the answer But I'm still a little confused. I'm currently using Outlook and I understand leaving messages on the server until I delete them but what I would like is to see mail that I send on PC-A to be seen in the sent box on PC-B. From the thread above it seems that this can be done so I'll wait until I purchase the macs in the next month and then post again once I have explored the issue a little more.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unless you know what you are doing in terms of security, running your own mail server is a bad idea. Using IMAP accounts will do exactly what you want... running your own server really has nothing to do with it.

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Want you want are IMAP accounts.
    I use MobleMe (.Mac). I'm sure others are out there.
    All my email is "in sync" across my iPhone, my computer or any other computer via web access.
    IMAP - the emails are on a server "somewhere" with a local cached copy on your local computer. On my account, I have folders on the IMAP account & some folders local on my main machine. The folders on the IMAP account I can access anywhere. The folders on my local, its much more difficult to access them from anywhere.
    POP accounts emails are meant to be read & deleted off the server. There is the option to leave on server for "x amount of time" , but that just buys you some time.

4. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

I believe with Developer beta 2 they were split into Lion and Lion Server again.

5. jsgreen macrumors 6502

+1 for the IMAP account suggestion (as opposed to a POP3 account type).

I use FastMail as my IMAP email provider - have since 2004 and I've been very happy with them. Here's a referral link (full disclosure, if you click through and end up signing up for an account, I get some sort of small credit).

FastMail has some great features, you can set up different personalities, aliases, custom domains, lots of archiving, spam protection, solid webmail interface. I'm a big fan.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

Yes, I vote for an IMAP account. We actually do not use ANY ISP email accounts...haven't for several years.

My main account is gmail as is my wife's and I also have a hotmail account that I use less frequently. The gmail account is what my iPhone reads withint Mail and I also access it via the web at home and at work. I have never had any issues, plus the account is always synced...if I delete a message on the iPhone or at work, it's deleted on the gmail system.

Any reason why free online accounts like a gmail wouldn't work in your situation?