Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Most people don't build what you built.

A PC can be had for anywhere from a couple of hundred to . . . over $7000.

The entry fee for a Mac, though (not counting the Mini, which is Apple's *only* current offering below $1000) is $1000.

The entry fee to Windows is a couple hundred.

Draw your own conclusions.

So what you're saying is that people in the 3rd world are SOL because they can't afford the $1000 entry fee for a PC? Even the Mac Mini would run about $1K after you got the monitor and peripherals.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

The entry fee for a Mac, though (not counting the Mini, which is Apple's *only* current offering below $1000) is $1000.

Its cheaper to own a Windows PC than an Apple one? Well since they both do essentially the same thing, the average consumer may as well save their money and get a PC. Oh wait, they already do.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Its cheaper to own a Windows PC than an Apple one? Well since they both do essentially the same thing, the average consumer may as well save their money and get a PC. Oh wait, they already do.

Unfortunately, Consumer Satisfaction across the board has already determined, years ago, that they most certainly differ. Feel free to see for yourself. It's no secret.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Unfornately, Consumer Satisfaction across the board has already determined, years ago, that they most certainly differ. Feel free to see for yourself. It's no secret.

Just as I'm sure that customer satisfaction is greater for Ferrari's or Lamborghini's over the Ford Fiesta. But not everyone can afford an expensive car.

It is true that manufacturers such as Dell have been making a bad name for PCs over the past few years with their shocking designs with terrible durability at cheap prices. But there are plenty of decent hardware manufacturers for Windows PCs, and many people use them happily.

I'm sure all high end hardware manufacturers will have a decent consumer satisfaction rating. However people have shown they are willing to pay peanuts for a flimsy Dell, and they suffer the consequences to that. Just as you would for cheaping out on a car.

EDIT: Just realized that yet again, you have turned an unrelated thread into an Apple vs The World contest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
OS X malware is a real threat, but not any more than it was before.

It's certainly not a marketing ploy. Are you suggesting that Microsoft (or Kaspersky for that matter) released the Flashback trojan? I find that to be highly unlikely.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

Yeah, Most people don't build what I build, neither does apple lol. Which is why my PC is my main Machine and my iMac is my living room/media center machine. And the G5 is my file server.

What you need to realize is, sure there are people who can't afford a Mac, tho if they really wanted one, second hand is an option.

But most people who buy those 500-700 dollar Dells, or hell even a 400 dollar Dell, don't NEED a Mac. All they want to do is light photo editing and uploading, social media, watch Netflix or youtube, and play some games. Email, and all that basic stuff.

And if thats ALL you need to do, why in the hell would you go blow 1200 dollars on an iMac? You wouldn't. A 700 dollar Dell will do the job just as well for less money.

Most people have zero use for a Mac, which is why they don't buy them.

And if you want to blow 1200 dollars, what can a iMac do that a Dell XPS can't do?

Its all about taste.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, Most people don't build what I build, neither does apple lol. Which is why my PC is my main Machine and my iMac is my living room/media center machine. And the G5 is my file server.

What you need to realize is, sure there are people who can't afford a Mac, tho if they really wanted one, second hand is an option.

But most people who buy those 500-700 dollar Dells, or hell even a 400 dollar Dell, don't NEED a Mac. All they want to do is light photo editing and uploading, social media, watch Netflix or youtube, and play some games. Email, and all that basic stuff.

And if thats ALL you need to do, why in the hell would you go blow 1200 dollars on an iMac? You wouldn't. A 700 dollar Dell will do the job just as well for less money.

Most people have zero use for a Mac, which is why they don't buy them.

And if you want to blow 1200 dollars, what can a iMac do that a Dell XPS can't do?

Its all about taste.

Don't forget there are millions of Dell PC owners who own iPhones, iPod Touches, Android phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.