OS X Mavericks and Glimmer Blocker

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ObuckiO, Oct 27, 2013.

1. ObuckiO macrumors regular

After Mavericks update was installed, there was a notice that Glimmer Blockers latest version was not compatible. Of course, now all the ads are in view (kinda shocked at the difference), but anyway, does anyone know of a compatible ad blocker or is it too early for an answer?
    BTW- I am assuming this is a common issue, but have not found any threads or remarks about it, yet.
    Thanks for any info.

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

AdBlock. Compatible with safari, Firefox, and google chrome.

3. ObuckiO thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response.
    I use Safari, however I believe that's not the issue. Are you saying AdBlock works with Mavericks installed?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's quite common for there to be some delay for 3rd party apps to be updated to be compatible with a new OS release. At least one other has noticed it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1659471

5. ObuckiO thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate your response, GGJ.
    I guess some will have to watch the sideshows for a few. Thanks.

6. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Yes, I think it works. Can't hurt to try at the very least.

7. unelg macrumors newbie

Product page says "just reinstall". Look:

Download for OSX 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9: GlimmerBlocker-1.5.3.dmg (release notes). To use with 10.9: reinstall GlimmerBlocker after upgrading OSX. When the GlimmerBlocker installer asks to install Java 6, let it install it and then relaunch the GlimmerBlocker installer. (Java 6 includes a library which isn't included in OSX and which newer java versions need). You might have to install ​the public java runtime.

8. ObuckiO, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

ObuckiO thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot.
    I couldn't get it to reinstall a couple times earlier, but after reading this, I gave it another try and it worked fine.
    Note: I still had ads until I unchecked "Activate Glimmer Blocker" in its menu(under setup), then checked it back ON.

9. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

You have to let it install Java 6. It won't work with just Oracle Java 7. The GB installer goes and fetches Java 6 from Software Update. Once Java 6 is installed, you may have to resume or rerun the GB installer.

GB is running very nicely on Mavericks here.