OS X Mavericks Install Failed

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jim Jardashian, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Jim Jardashian macrumors newbie

Hello. Yesterday, I decided to upgrade lion to Mavericks on my 2009 MacBook Pro. I downloaded it fine from the AppStore. After I clicked install, I received this.
    [​IMG]

I tried restarting the install and the same message appeared. I Tried repairing "Mackintosh HD" in Disk Utility but it's not repairable without me wiping my HD. I didn't think of backing up my hard drive prior to downloading Mavericks. I rebooted my Mac while holding CMD R. I'm given these options.
    [​IMG]
    I attempted to reinstall OS X Lion but my recovery HD and Mackintosh HD are "locked."

How can I successfully install mavericks or lion and preserve my data ?

2. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

hmm, you may want to have a look at some recovery software. Having spoken to some people, Spinrite seems to come recommended https://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm. I heard that they were working on a version to be compatible on OS X, but Im not 100% sure. I have not used this personally, but maybe someone on this forum has and could provide some more information.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You've not backed up your data since 2009?

Change the drive in your MacBook before you do anything else, install Mavericks. Put the existing drive in a USB enclosure for recovery.