OS X Mavericks on new cMacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by xlost6, Aug 21, 2013.

1. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Not sure if this has been asked. I'm new to the whole Mac family and I just purchased a non-Retina MacBook Pro this past Monday. I see Apple is working on releasing a new OS X and it's Mavericks. Now my MacBook Pro came with Mountain Lion (the latest OS X build). How does the this work for me when the new OS X releases? Do I get some kind of waiver because I purchased my Mac recently or do I have to purchase the update when it officially releases?

:apple:

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

No way of knowing. When there’s an official release date for Mavericks they will likely announce that Macs bought after Date X will be eligible for a free upgrade.

However, the retail price of Mountain Lion is only $19.99 and Mavericks should be about the same

3. xlost6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, bud. I appreciate the response! :)

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You will need to purchase Mavericks for the full retail price.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

And you’re basing that flat-out declaration on WHAT, exactly?

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

For every single release of OS X to date.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Doesn't Apple tell buyers going forwards exactly when they will be eligible for a free upgrade? It's usually not retroactive, at least in my experience.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Funny, last year when I ordered my rMBP on June 12th last year I got a free upgrade to Mountain Lion, which was released on July 25th. And as a result of buying a new Mac in the eligible period, I got free upgrades for my older Macs as well.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

because you were one day into the period of the free update. Mavericks will not be out in September.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    You state this like it's fact.... iOS 7 will almost definitely be released (at least on iPhone) in September, it's at least possible that Mavericks will be realeased around then as well.

While I agree with you that we are most likely well before the cut-off date for free upgrades, we cannot be certain.

11. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

If apple won't give you a free upgrade, TPB will.:D

12. khaneliman macrumors newbie

With all of the improvements under the hood to mavericks I'm willing to buy the os as long as it's not buggy when released. Excited to move on from mountain lion haha